JACK CASADY BASS PLAYERS CLUB!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyingPigSound, Apr 27, 2019.

1. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    So one of yours sits below the surface of the arch top? this photo of my 2006 ebony (Greasy Heart) is harder to see but it's a T nut that intentionally sits above the surface. I can be sure of that because I've had them all out to glue them. tempImagezfWyeT.png

PillO likes this.
  2. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    I'm totally down with you thoughts here. I'm not really a nit picker....I want to keep her.........but not at the expense of not being able to set her up right......which she is very close, she came to me so far from a reasonable set up that I'm being a brat because I just want to pick her up and play her. I haven't heard from the shop that I bought her from but, I fully expect them to say "s%#t sorry what can we do to make it better?" It'a all good....it's all and all a beautiful instrument!

I'm exploring the differences between my 2, too. So, most of the ferrule questions are just that.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    PillO and Kbassface like this.
  3. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    This is it. All three inconsistently seated but they are absolutely vertical.

01.jpg

PillO, SDC1-ClickClack and tomZbass like this.
  4. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    Thank you! After seeing this, It is my theory that the ferrules are the same but (one) of the things that Epiphone has done to alleviate the ferrules from coming out is bury them into the top ply of the guitar. The ferrules in my first JCB are acting like T nuts with the flange larger that the hole and clearly intended to be "over" the top of the guitar. Yours and my second JCB has the holes drilled the size of the OD of the flange and at least part of the flange below the top of the guitar...............and or the machine that punches them in has Monday and Fridays too.

Anyway thanks for your answer and photo. I am now sure that my ferrules are not part of some "after the factory correction." Which brings me even closer to "she's mine and I'm going to hug her and kiss her and call her Elizabeth."

5. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    I have worked on a couple early ones that the bridge was closer to the neck joint and the 16th fret was at top before the binding started . All later ones the 16th fret is set deeper ( Whole neck actually...hehe) in the body . Tooling probably changed at some point . It's a Epi . Not a Gibson .

PillO and tomZbass like this.
  6. Kbassface

Kbassface

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    BTW - TBH I’m just a lil jealous.... ;)
    Congratulations!! Hope it works out for the best!!

7. Eric Huber

Eric Huber

Aug 20, 2019
    Baltimore
    My 2017 inserts were not glued. The left one is now. I don't believe you will have any issue doing the setup.

8. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    Hey ya'll check out the photo in post #1772. The reason that the set upon marginally compromised is that the two rear inserts are not aligned 100% parallel to each other and so the post bind up before I can get the bridge low enough for my preference. A little graphite on the treads has helped but not solved the problem. The string height is super close to where I want it but the neck is still flat and with a few buzzes. One I use the truss rod to change the shape of the neck and get rid if the buzzing the strings will be too high and the bridge will already be at its limit due to the binding of the posts. The questions about the ferrules was just to be sure a had a factory pure baby. My concern is that I could be into a fret dress expense and $150 on $750 is 20% so it seems worth a conversation with the shop I purchased it from.

Now, back to the important stuff! This bass is perhaps the most beautiful bass ever, the color is stunning! The tone is everything that the JCB is known for! Plugged through my very lightly gained TS9B on the 500 setting its a fire breathing, mud wallowing, monster. Crank the gain on that tube screamer and Lemmy look out!! Back the switch it off to 50 and zero the tone knob and it's every bit of an overwound, gooey P.....and that's all on my class D amp....just wait until I can get it to my Mesa Tubes!!!!???!!!

I'm nit picking the set up because I'm a perfectionist.....just like Jack.....and because money is expensive.

PillO and Sorado71 like this.
  9. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    Yeah its fun to see my 2006 (peerless) and this 2020 (china) side by side. I'll do a full introduction and talk about the differences......if......I decide to keep her. Like the time I went to the shelter to just" test drive a puppy." I'm a sucker for the romance!

PillO likes this.
  10. crunge

crunge

Dec 27, 2007
    Colorado
    If it was just an aesthetic issue and you could set the bridge height correctly, I'd say keep it and rock it. But I do see that left post being shy of perpendicular and it not worth trying to reseat the insert and risking a paint chip. Life is too short for bad setups, and there will be other Pelham beauties to sample.

11. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    I have it on good authority that "at this time" Epiphone will not be making the 2020 special colors again.

PillO likes this.
  12. crunge

crunge

Dec 27, 2007
    Colorado
    Hmmm... well in that case, grind down the bottom of the left side of the 3-pt bridge, and that may take care of the issue!

13. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    OK Jackers! Introducing Elizabeth (named for my wife's grandmother who painted everything Pelham blue) a 2020 Faded Pelham Blue Jack Casady Signature bass. She is just gorgeous and needs a little fret dressing. I have worked out a partial refund with CME in regards to the bridge....thing. They handled it super professionally and I am completely satisfied.

Her tone is everything that we've all come to expect from a JCB and get this.....Her neck is FAT! More on that in the photos below.

Greasy Heart (my ebony 2006 JCB) was abused by her original owner and rewired incorrectly so, I've been having a blast rewiring her but still don't have he harness quite right........I will be pulling her electronics from Elizabeth to make a schematic to answer once and for all....for now (LOL)... all of the questions over at this string How do the Epiphone Jack Casady electronics work?

Attached are some photos that compare some subtle differences between Greasy Heart and and Elizabeth. Non of these comments are to complain about the differences, they are just to document the changes. I love them both!

First the headstocks
    JCB_ elizabeth-headstock.jpg JCB_greasyheart_headstock.jpg
    Next The PUP placement and neck set
    JCB_elizabeth_pup.jpg JCB_greasyheart_pup.jpg
    JCB_elizabeth_neckset.jpg JCB_greasyheart_neck set.jpg
    JCB_elizabeth_pup&bridge.jpg JCB_greasyheart_pup&bridge.jpg
    And now for the fat neck. It's fat to me anyway.........and I like it!
    JCB_elizabeth_neck-1stfret.jpg
    JCB_eleizabeth_neck-12thfret.jpg
    JCB_greasyheart_neck_1stfret.jpg JCB_greasyheart_neck-12thfret.jpg and now Elizabeth in all of her Faded Pelham Blue glory!
    JCB_elizabeth_front.jpg
    JCB_elizabeth_back.jpg

14. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    That will be a blow if it’s true because I’ve got a Pelham Blue on order.

15. tomZbass

tomZbass

Nov 20, 2019
    Carbondale, CO
    That's just what my guy says....who knows. Finger crossed.

PillO likes this.
  16. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    Took me a while to buy it but man this bass is awsome!

IMG_1023.jpg

17. crunge

crunge

Dec 27, 2007
    Colorado
    More gratuitous pics of Chicago Blue Pearl's hues - always changing depending on lighting
    6StdKC.jpg a02Cbc.jpg

18. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Silly question, but if there is a place to find the answer, I would think that it would be here:

Is there a decent/good gig bag on the market that works with the Jack Casady bass? I'm on the verge of ordering a new Jack Casady, but getting the damned hardshell case is a complete PITA. Why Epiphone doesn't just sell this instrument with the case included is baffling. And even when you do get the case, it isn't exactly easy to get around.

19. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    https://www.gatorcases.com/products...-guitar/335flying-v-guitar-gig-bag-g-pg-335v/

20. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021