1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jack Input Problem - No, not loose jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vaca11, May 19, 2012.

1. vaca11

vaca11

Aug 11, 2011
    Hey guys, i recently purchased a cheap 5 strings for fun. But it looks like it might have an issue

When i put cable to jack input its kind of hard to do.. you may need to push it a bit in the first place but will get better afterwards

however it sucks throws back.. kind of vomiting my cable -_-

when i touch it or try to move it a bit it simply pushes it back immediately.

Its an active 5 strings if its going to help.. ermm Harley Benton HBZ- 2005 i think

Edit:

The question is what to do ? what can be problem ?

I dont have tools with me to check it out.. Not until next weekend

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sounds like something is wrong with the jack. Replacing the jack is easiest fix.

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses

Active usually means one of those cursed barrel jacks. All you can do it replace it.

4. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    Replace the jack. Anything else is just a waste of time.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if it's a barrel jack, the replacement will be a switchcraft #152B.

6. vaca11

vaca11

Aug 11, 2011
    its a barrel jack.. what is that thing never saw them before :D not in my ibby or MM... damn cursed thing..

can i replace it with a normal one ?

7. Post a picture

8. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You'll have to bore out the hole to accommodate a normal jack, and add a metal, "football", to mount the jack. *OR*--do what I did, and go with an electrosocket.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/those-accursed-barrel-jacks-865973/

9. vaca11

vaca11

Aug 11, 2011
    is there a way or special jack (like angled jacks) to avoid this thing... seriously every minute if goes out.... i jump alot :D

10. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    On an active bass the jack also switches the active electronics. So you'll have to replace it by a switching (3-pole) jack.

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Sounds like the inner clips are bent. It's a barrel jack. I hate those, even the Switchcraft one. First choice is to replace it with a Switchcraft one, but buy a couple because they all tend to get unreliable. Second choice it to drill out a larger hole as JLS says. Not really hard if you're used to using power tools on good wood and aren't squeamish. That also assumes you know about soldering guitar circuits.

And if you go to an electronics place asking for a switching jack they may not understand what you're after. You want a TRS ("tip, ring, sleeve") 3 conductor 1/4" jack. The tip connection is the hot from the bass's audio output. The sleeve is the standard ground. The ring is the connection to the power side of the circuit. When it shorts to the barrel of a regular mono T/S plug (jacks are female, plugs are male), it completes the circuit and allows power to flow to the preamp.

John

12. No, you don't need a switching jack for this but you will need a stereo (TRS) jack which is probably what's in there now.

13. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    A rubber band, keeping the jack in place, might help you out for the time being.

14. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    That's why I wrote 3-pole, between brackets. It switches by shorting two contacts with the mono jack, which you apparently knew already.

15. A switching jack has a switch in it. A TRS jack does not. They are not the same thing.

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    are you using a straight-out cable?

if so, that's the problem, and what has likely worn out the jack.

use a 90° jack on the bass, threading it through the strap; that'll way reduce the sideways stresses placed on the jack and the plug (and the cable itself).

17. vaca11

vaca11

Aug 11, 2011
    i had those snap jacks.. and a iron cross over it.. u know nice looking cool stuff.. never though they will be problem..

Going to cable lab... wish me good luck with those cable from my fathers days -_- :D