Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jackson CMG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phil Ellefson, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Phil Ellefson

Phil Ellefson

Apr 6, 2005
    Scotland
    Hello people ave just singed up to this site and i was thinking about maybe buying a Jackson CMG for my next bass and i'm wondering if any of you out their have a Jackson CMG. And if any of you do could you please give me the pros and cons of it. Thanks

2. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    Welcome to TalkBass, Phil! You probably won't find many Jackson players around here, as they don't make many basses. However, I have a CM-20, which I have found to be an excellent bass for the money. I can't comment about the CMG or its relative value (especially in Scotland), but I can say that I have a lower-end Jackson guitar and a Jackson bass and I'm very happy with both. Good luck.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I have an old Charvel neck-through B3 that's an '88 model, upgraded with EMG P/J's and preamp, and it's my main stage bass right now. I'd never sell it. Consistently GOOD sound. Not GREAT, mind you, but always GOOD. Has a nice, fast neck and stays in tune and plays great.

I'd check out an older pre-Fenfer buyout USA Jackson. It's probably just me, but I love those sharkfin inlays. ;)

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    +1. My first really nice bass was a Jackson USA Pro 4 string (forget the model, the one used by Dave Ellefson). Loved it. Also have owned 2 Jackson USA Custom guitars, one of which I stupidly sold and have kicked myself daily since!

But everything I've touched from them in about the past 8 years has been crap of the highest order. The fact that they pay money for Jenna Jameson to be an "endorser" should make it obvious that this company has nothing to do with making instruments anymore.

I just noticed your name, don't suppose you're related to the aformentioned Dave? :)

5. Phil Ellefson

Phil Ellefson

Apr 6, 2005
    Scotland
    Ellefson is my hero. The bass he used in the early 90's is possibly the coolest thing i have ever heard playing over the back pickup with a pick on that thing sounds excellent it could easily destroy my thunderbird. You should check out some live vids to see what i am talking about you'll agree with me on the sound quality.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I don't need to check out vids, I saw them Live back in '93 or 94. Dave used two different Jacksons through a GK/Hartke rig. I wanted that tone so badly!

I got pretty close when I was using the same bass, Hartk XL series cabs and a Crate solid state head. I was saving for my own GK when I sold the whole rig to go to college, I really should have held onto the bass at least!

For the record I've actually owned several other Jacksons, but only the one bass: I had a bolt and Neck-thru King V (latter was a Mustaine sig model), a USA Pro Rhodes V in Korina (which looked cool as hell, but I sold because it had sh*tty pickups and I needed money), and USA Pro Kelly in a custom green/sparkle/marble type finish. Only the last is still with me and I'm not parting with it!