Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco was not the first.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Not the first to make electric bass a up-front instrument... nowhere close.

IMHO, Geezer Butler was the first bassist to bring the instrument to the forefront and show people how to rock out.

2. Duck and cover, the jaco extremeists are coming to kill you , id assume a fake identity and go live in Idaho so they wont find ya.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well Jaco was not a rock player full stop - he was never about "rocking out!! :meh:

It was all about getting electric bass accepted as a valid instrument and featured soloist in Jazz!

If you think Jaco is anything to do with rock - then you don't understand what he was doing, in any way!

4. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I'm not sure what you mean by "up-front." I love Geezer's work and he's an inspiration. But the focus on BS was usually on Ozzy or Tony, not Geezer.

If you saying Geezer made bass a more melodic component of the music, sure. If you're saying he was a soloist that commanded the general audience's attention, I'm not sure I agree. At least not in the way Jaco or any "bass soloist" has done.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

and Geezer (who was my main inspiration to start playing 24 years ago AND I have Vol 4, Master of Reality and Mob Rules queued up on Random currently).... learned to be from following Jack Bruce. IMHO the "REAL" upfront rockin out players of the pre late 60s-early 70s all thought our funny little mutant guitars were toys.

:p :bassist:

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Feel better now that you got that off your chest? :rolleyes:

7. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Richie Blackmore and many other guitarists , were respected as soloists in heavy rock/metal, but bass players were there to fill out the bottom end, keep the music grooving and rocking!! :bassist:

8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    John Entwistle, Jack Bruce...

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Mike and Black Sabbath sittin in a tree...

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    James Jamerson came before both of those guys.

But whats the point? I dont think many claim that Jaco was the first to make the bass more noticible.

11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Oh thank god I aint around anymore.

12. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - Jaco was just the first to make bass guitar "respectable" in Jazz, as a solo instrument and made some great music - but really who cares about anybody being the first at anything - music's not a race and the beauty of it, is that you can enjoy music that was created in the 15th Century, or last night!!! ;)

13. What are you trying to accomplish here Mike?

Were you trying to start a fight with your lack of chronology knowlege?

Why are you still here, you no longer add anything positive, or at least vaguely positive to talkbass anymore.

All of your recent posts have been one word posts, or little snips and jabs here and there.

Leave.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't know anything about Geezer but did he play a 'fretless' bass?? This is where Jaco was a standout! A true virtuoso that knew how to make a fretless bass sing. Also, he played his solos as if they were another instrument not just as a bass. Very trumpetlike in quality. And, Stanley Clarke was on the scene way before Jaco!

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :meh:

my first thought was to lock this... then I said "WTH" and posted... then I was gonna quote Bruce's "Not a race" bit with a lock (well put Bruce)... then desided "too Police state... let it ride, Cass will come along and close it ;) "

Why should I let Cass have all the fun :smug:

*L O C K E D*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.