Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaguar Baritone Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jul 30, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Has anyone tried one of these? Fender lists the strings as - Bass VI 5350/6 P/N 073-5350-000 Stainless Steel, (.025, .035, .045, .055, .075, .095.) Nice!!

[​IMG]

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is it tuned like a baritone, or a Bass VI? What is the scale length?

3. Wait isnt that Fenders Bass VI? It looks like it from what i can remember but then again the headstock says Jaguar. So I don't know. :meh:

Also, Bridge is dif. too.

4. I might be interested if the price isn't overwhelming. Where can I find a price listing?

5. I think it would be cool to try out in a store, but not to own. It's to much like a guitar, and im sure tonnally in might not be that good(but I'm not sure on that either). Does anybody know the tuning? I was thinking it was EADGBE because it was in the guitar section, but it could be tuned to F.(I personally would).

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    HOLY JEEBUS POO!

If that is tuned like a Bass VI Im in love. Too bad I dont have the money for it!

Damn Damn Damn Damn.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm. It's 28.5" scale, the Bass VI is 30" I think?

It also lacks the middle pickup, which is the best sounding one on the Bass VI. :)

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Good points.

9. Yeah, I think overall the Bass VI was better, they should have re-issued that...again!

:bassist:

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    There's always the Schecter Hellcat VI. :D

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yes, Im well aware. :cool:

12. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    [​IMG]

That is pretty cool. I like this idea- I need to go try one. How the heck should one play one of these. I'd assume it would be odd feeling with the bass gauge strings to use a pick. Any ideas?

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Plenty of people use a pick on standard basses and dont have problems with it.

14. I would be one of those people...and you are correct...i have no problem with it :D

15. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i really want to see a critical review of the hellcat vs say a fender vi....i thought about the jag custom but its shorter scale length makes it a non runner for e-e tuning. That leaves either the olp mm5 ..which is very low quality...the Ernie Ball which is very expensive but seems excellent...or the hellcat ..which seems like a good compromise and looks cool too...but i bet robert smith is not using his off the peg....cant help wondering if he is just playing it in public to get some dollars in but as soon as the gigs are over its back to the fendervi,s!! ...but then i dont think he really needs the cash..maybe he really thinks this guitar is great??

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually, I'd bet Robert is happy about the Schecter -- having a currently in-production VI. He's had problems with some of his Fenders (in the Trilogy concert, the setup is horrible and the strings buzz), and they're not easy to find.

Perry Bamonte has been playing his signature Aria "Bamonte" Baritone for a few years now. It looks pretty nice.

I have one of the OLP MM5s -- yes, it's pretty bad.

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well Schecter has an import factory that does the Diamond series, an American factory which does their standard stuff, and a custom shop which Im sure is making the stuff Robert is playing.

Actually the custom and USA shop might be the same.

I think the Hellcat VI is only being mass produced in the diamon series.

18. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    if he is using custom shop..i hope the factory made ones arent too bad....