1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jaguar Bass for Blues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blues_bassist, Oct 2, 2009.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm considering buying another bass, so I was looking at basses on GC's website and I saw the Fender Jaguar. I play Blues and I am wondering if it would be a good bass for Blues?

2. I don't see where it's going to sound much different than an active fender J with a few extra features on the electronics....it does have a thin neck though (according to the description) and I'm not a fan of that myself but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be good for blues.

3. Thank You Leo

Thank You Leo Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    CT
    If you are talking about tone - I don't see why not. If the bass is physically comfortable for you and you have a good amp, you should have no problem. Its also kinda funky looking ... in a good way.

4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Go for it. I can't think why it won't work in the hands of a capable player. I play the blues and classic rock circuit in my region, and I see everything from vintage and pawn shop treasures, everyday off the rack basses, on up to active, expensive, boutique grade instruments. If the Jag floats your tone mojo, then go get it on.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I threw some flats on mine and it was an instant blues machine. Nothing stoppin' ya!

6. stephenq

stephenq

Jul 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    i have yet to create that monster^^ with mine, but yes it will work for you just fine

7. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a switch on the bass to choose between active and passive, correct?

8. I played my Jaguar with flats and the passive option, and it worked great for Motown, blues, and everything.

9. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    First off, thanks everyone for you help. Anyone who has pics of their Jaguar and wants to post them, that would be great.

10. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    The Jag is a great bass that can do just about anything, and flats sound great on it! I just wish I had mine back!

11. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    The Jag will work great for blues, just as a Jazz would. I'd probably leave it in passive mode, but go with what sounds good to you. Tons of tonal options with this bass.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Versatility of sounds. It will work fine, great, acceptably, well, functional... pick your word.

13. stephenq

stephenq

Jul 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    indeed there is :bassist: