1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaguar Or Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by occyandhisbass, May 7, 2010.

1. Fender Jaguar Bass

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. Fender Jazz Bass

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  1. Hey TBers,

I only have one bass and it's some Samick Short scale unknown model. So anyway my birthday's coming up and I really want a new bass. I decided on a Fender Jazz Bass and was set on getting it. Then I saw a review online for the Fender Jaguar and I've changed my mind. Just wondering if anyone was in the same situation or any opinions on either of the basses. Keep in mind theres a budget. Under $1500. :help:

Occy,

2. well if you go used you can get the Jaguar AND a nice MIM Jazz bass

3. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    in this situation with that high of a budget for a jazz or jaguar id hunt around and play a few used jazz's and any jaguars you can find. personally i prefer a jazz but i've only played one jaguar and not every jazz was equal.

4. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I was in the same boat. You can get a Jag and some effects/cables/PA/etc... for the budget and be fine. I personally think that a Jag plays better than a Jazz, but that's just me.

5. I'd get a Jag. not only does it play great (at LEAST comperable to any Jazz i've played, plus a bit more tonally tweekable), but you can still get one at a nice price from online vendors blowing out their inventories.

6. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    I would say Jazz.

7. I couldn't imagine a Jag playing better then my Geddy Jazz. But what do I know? I'm off and running with this thing, they'll have to pry it out of my hands in the morgue.

8. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think this is a good idea. While I was in love with the Jag, when I first got it, I soon found some problems with tonality (not to mention noise from poor grounding). But DAMN that bass looks incredible!

So now, I rely on my Jazz for my workhorse bass, but still like having an active option that plays so similar to my jazz.

9. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    +1 on a Jazz....

10. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I had a jag. After a few months, I became tired of its look and only used it in passive mode. I sold it and I'm going to buy a jazz instead.

11. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Good point. I remember playing a Geddy a few weeks ago, and realizing I'd easily trade my Jag in on it. I then tried to forget about the Geddy as I'm broke. :rollno:

12. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I would say Jazz, but basically a Jag is a Jazz on steroids and word on the street is that they are discoing the Jag. So for the sake of having a collectible five years down the road...JAGUAR.

The Jazz will always be the classic and a dime a dozen.