1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jaguar Short-Scale heavier strings downside?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by acmeseed, Aug 27, 2012.

1. acmeseed

acmeseed Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Hello,

I just got a Jaguar short-scale, I would like to put flat wound Chromes on it, but the only ones D'Addario sells in the gauge that comes with the bass (.40-.95) are long-scale strings. I am wondering what would be the effect of going to .45-.100 other than higher tension and possibly the need to adjust intonation; any significant drawback?

I will greatly appreciate your feedback.

2. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I think you pretty much have it. Slightly stiffer action and perhaps a change in sound. Changing string brands, even without changing size may require setting intonation again and the higher tension may require adjusting the truss rod.

3. Higher tension for sure.

I have .105 La'Bella Short Scale Flats on my SX Jaguar, and i LOVE it.

I prefer low action. But because of the short scale length's inherent floppy-ness, higher gauges are pretty necessary for low, buzz-free, action.

On my 2 short scales, a quick'n'simple saddle adjustment was all i needed for going from the factory .095s to .105s (flats on the aforementioned Jag, and some rounds on my modded Bronco).

4. acmeseed

acmeseed Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Did you have to do anything with the truss rod?

I think I am going to order the .45 - .100 chromes short scale and give them a try.

Thanks for your replies.