1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jam bands

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I had the chance the other night to find out how much I don't know a bout Jammin. I hooked up with a few guys. 2 guitarist, and a singer and We jammed on Willin, Know you Rider and Friend of the Devil and 30 Days in the Hole and Soulshine. And Whippin post. Man I suck. I really suck. Well I'm not too down on me, but these guys could jam. I didn't know the songs but I did not realize how much improvising is involved. No structure to bind you. Of course there are the changes but to be able to come up with riffs over chords is a really hard thing to do. Not only do you have to let go but you need to understand some thing other than Groove. And not lose the groove.

Any one else dig the jamming bands? I finally get the Dead. My friend Danny is gonna be so happy. Now if only I can get this type of playing in my head. I don't know if these guys will even have me back.

2. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    i was in a jamband for a while, i got sick of it. i think the next step is jazz, which is just jamband a step further, i'd check out some john scofield or some others who are in both fields.

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I was in a jamband for a bit.

www.myspace.com/soulcreep

Also did an open mic sort of thing with some of the same cats. It was fun having the Hammond and keyboards and the guitarist was great, actually respectable and respectful older cat.

We wrote our own material too and that's the difficult thing is finding guys who want to write instead of rehashing tired old standards. I Know You Rider and Whipping post is a song that a lot of Jambands do. We did Spanish Moon by Little Feat and folks loved it

You need to be able to stay in the pocket with the drummer and that might require some woodshedding. You have to be really patient, willing to practice and rehearse a lot, record everything you do; rehearsal and gig.

I was huge into Phish for a long time, after they stopped touring my attention went to Umphrey's McGee as well as Medeski Martin and Wood (more jazz than jam). Also check out U-Melt, String Cheese Incident Phil Lesh and Friends.

http://stash.nugs.net/stash.asp

I also like The Grateful Dead a bit, I love the bluegrass influence in Jerry's style.

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's pretty much what we do when we're not practicing. We call it "jamming". Someone starts a song and we build off that. Fun stuff.

5. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    You might also want to check out Widespread Panic and Government Mule. I'd call Panic more of a jamband and Mule is more blues based, but they are both fantastic. I think Warren Haynes is one of the most talented musicians today.

Mike

6. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    +. We're actually not that bad at it either. Which is a miracle in and of itself.

7. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Best jam band ever(in my opinion - so please nobody get offended), is Jefferson Airplane. Check out some of their live stuff, it's amazing what jorma, jack, and spencer can do with some of those songs!!! Especially last year's "Sweeping Up The Spotlight: Live at The Fillmore 1969" cd - "The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil" and "The Other Side Of This Life" are fantastic it's sooo good:)

8. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Definitely Check them out man.

9. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I gotta learn how to play like that.

10. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I'm not too into Jam Bands outside of The whole Haight/Ashbury Scene and MMW, but I play in one called Stone Spoon Baboon.

11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  12. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Nice one Mellogerman

thanks

13. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Garaj Mahal is a cool one.

14. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Blues Traveler!

:D

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You need a looper and a guitar or keyboard. Loop a chord progression and then play with it. Get comfy with what works and what doesn't.

Jamming is more about the notes you don't play than the notes you do. Yeah, we hear that all the time about playing bass but in jamming - it is critical that you leave room for everybody else. You soend more time listening than playing in other words...

By the way to you Mule-heads. Have you looked up Big Sugar ? Warren counts them as an influence - good enough for me!

and Matt Abts just F&cking rules...

16. beefhat1

beefhat1

Jun 20, 2006
    Oregon
    Battles is a damn good band when it comes to loop-driven jams. i saw them in portland a while ago and the entire show was like a bowl of Smuckers and Cheerios.;)