Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

James Tyler Basses..How many made ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrgittleman, Feb 5, 2005.

1. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Hello,
    Just wondering how many of you out there have owned or
    own or know anyone who has owned a James Tyler bass guitar.
    Any comments or information is a big help. Thanks.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Is that the famous nyquil green 5 ? Any Serial number ?

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey Mike,
    There were at least 2 Nyquil Green basses. I had one recently, and there was another floating around that I believe belonged to Willie Weeks at some point. Jim Tyler may remember how many were actually built.
    Corey

5. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    it has unique sound from rare demeter pre-amp and bartolini pick-up.(I think it was soapbar w/J style pickup..not sure)
    has various kinds of finish, sig. model has super narrow neck..almost size of four-string.

gives you various tones for rock to pop, not sure w/ Jaco-like tone but very wide tonal range and high notes sounds especially good.
    (has 6 knobs and 3 switches..take some time to know all about it..:))

if you personally make a contact w/ people in tyler, you might be able to get more 'unusual' type of bass. Last time I was there, there were at least 3-4 unfinished bass that were neck-through or piezo..etc.(usually bolt-on)

has nice natural tone..take a listen to some of tunes from Abraham laboriel and neil stubenhaus. These two use tyler exclusively.

however, there are soome downfall.
    demeter pre-amp in tyler doesn't work well w/ other pick-up besides Bartolini. If you want to make upgrade, that's fine w/ own risk. Last tyler I used to have had a EMG, made buzz everytime. I had to send it to tyler office which is is sepulveda ave, CA. and it took 8 month to replace pick-up, bridge, and tuner. and cost big amount of money too.
    your local guitar technition won't be pleased w/ this bass 'cause it's electronic has tons of wire. Even for the technition w/ experience and skill, it takes extra time.

They stopped making a bass for about 2-3 years while they were replacing the machine in the store. They began making little more than ten 35'' and 34'' 5-string bass from last year.

It's pretty descent bass, I have always wanted to have abe.sig. 5-string. Regular one has bit wide neck for me. However, if you research, you'll be able to have descent quality custom bass w/ lower price like roscoe, warrior, sadowsky, and celinder etc...

I'll try to buy one of the abe model maybe 4-5 year later:) Try to check out the tone. If you are in the Hollywood area in CA, just keep stoping by their store. they'll give you some special price and you'll be able to try bunch of instrument.

and check out the schedule on 'Baked potato' in studiocity in CA.
    Abe. always bring at least one tyler for his show and we all know how his group sounds:)

good luck with your searching, God bless:)

6. davemattia

davemattia

Jan 24, 2007
    California
    My Tyler 5-string bass has a serial number of 399. It was quite hard to find, as not many are up for sale, or so it seems. A beautiful bass with exceptional tone, all the way up - and down to the low B. It has the standard Demeter preamp in it and has basslines with hipshot hardware. A very nice 5-string complement to my 76 Fender Jazz 4-string.

Dave

7. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul

Dec 20, 2006
    You took the words right out my mouth.

I couldn't even look at the bass. :D

8. funkythumb

funkythumb

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    Bee Bass, La Bella, Mike Lull
    Hey Mike,
    Wheeeew...three years later, I'm replying to this post. Am I a Tyler junky or what.
    I owned the other Nyquil Green James Tyler that Cory had. I bought it from Cory.
    I kept the bass for a couple years and stupidly sold it to a guy in Hawaii. I think I might still have his email.
    Anyway, my Tyler was the one made for the guy now playing with Bon Jovi. I'm having a brain fart. I'll remember his name as soon as I send this email.
    It wasn't the punchiest live bass but it sounded great in the studio. I frequently listen to the studio recordings I made with that Tyler and kick myself in the ass for selling it.
    It's not the most hi fi bass but it has this wonderful midrange that sits well and sounds fat.
    I'd love to buy another.
    peace

9. This may be a rookie question... but are Tyler Basses still in production? The main bassist at my church plays one (with an LA-2A in his rack) and it sounds incredible.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They are officially out of production, but I have heard here on TB that if you want to pay for one, you can get one built.