Jamey Aebersold Play along CDs ?????

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BottomFeeder86, Dec 1, 2004.

1. BottomFeeder86

Oct 18, 2004
    I'm not very learned with music theory, and i want to try to play jazz. I've been listening to the local jazz station in milwaukee WI and theres this cool song called "killer joe" i think by quincy jones with a slower, easyish sounding walking bass line i'd love to learn.

So i typed in Killer Joe on cdnow.com and found a Jamey Aebersold play a long CD (volume 70) featuring that song. Are these CD's generally easy to understand? is it just a matter of me looking at the chord, maybe looking that chord up to find what i scale or chord structure i can play under it? i have a smaller "chords for bass" book, and a bass scales book with most popular scales in it.

I guess i dont know what to expect? You guys can listen to the killer joe song on the CDNOW.com site here..

CDnow.com Killer Joe Jamey Aebersold

i know i can pan left/right channels to isolate the bass or do the opposite which is cool. is this a good place to start to play some easier jazz songs? any other recomendations?? Thanks a lot!!!! :ninja:
  2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Jazz pretty much demands a working knowledge of music theory that you can apply to your instrument. The Abersold books are very good for practicing - cuz you can repeat the tracks over and over while you try out dozens of ideas. To get the most out of the Abersold books you should be able to read music. You can still play along with the tracks and make up bass lines without reading - but the real learning comes from being able to read the chords and melody parts so you can be better informed in crafting you lines.

In addition to the song books - you should also look into the Major/Minor book, the "how to play jazz" book, the Dominant 7 workout book - the II-V-I book. They all have play along CDs and have lots of ideas for learning jazz.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to General Instruction
  4. pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    I'm actually working out of that very same Jamey Aebersold book right now! I've been playing for about a year now, and over that time my teacher and I have gone over many different tunes, most of which coming from the Aebersold jazz books. They're really a great rescource and a lot of fun if you get used to that thiny, whiny voice at the start of every track. (1,2,1 2 3 4).

Almost all of the songs presented in those books are rather easy (at least out of the tunes that I've worked on) and it really is neat to have the rythm section cd that comes along with it. Not only has it helped me with basslines, but also reading bass clef (I already knew Treble...6 years of brass that taught me that much). Further more, it's good practice to go over the melodies and a lot of fun too!

So in closing to my long winded, and rather useless pitch, I would say that you should check out some of these books. They're fun, easy, and they've really helped me during this first (and hopefully not last) year of my bass playing.

P.S: According to the book, Killer Joe is by Benny Golson. :bassist:
  5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The Aebersold series is great! I worked thru about 6 or 7 of them, including the "Gettin it Together" series, "The 2-5-1"
    series, and a few more with several of the standards like
    Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, etc etc. You can get a good feel for some Jazz basics here, and then move on to The Real Book.. The Aebersold stuff is a good primer, and it's fun too!
    I like the quick reference stuff in the back like the chord maps, modes, circle of 5ths diagrams, etc.

Have Fun!

6. Its called "Building Walking Basslines" if you do a search you will find a thread with more info. it explains in simple terms the tecniques used when walking a bass line, if you have a little theory behind you, it really acellerates your learning. oh the cd that comes with the book has 8 jazz standards to play along with, you can drop the bass channel out so you play alone with the rythym section..... its sorta what your after plus more..... remember playing walking basslines is a lifetime pursuit! L.
  7. BottomFeeder86

Oct 18, 2004
    Thanks guys, i recently impulse bought the DVD by Rufus Reid "The Evolving bassist" i've heard its a good primer for begining jazz stuff, so hopefully i can understand it. After i get some more money worked back up, i'll probablly order a Aebersold CD/book set. Thanks again for the replies and info!! :bassist:
  8. sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    The Aebersold CDs are very good. You may want to check out the computer program "Band in a Box". It's pretty cheap and easy to use. You can program any chord chart into it in a matter of minutes and keep it repeating if you like. I use it in conjunction with my fake book to work on improvising. It changes keys with the click of the mouse also.