1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jamkazam - Play with multiple musicians in real time in different locations.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by rickwolff, Mar 17, 2020.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

I just came across this and downloaded it. Is there anybody out there using it already?

Looks like I need to get an IO device for my computer.

MUCH MORE to follow but if anyone is up to speed on this please chime in.

2. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Just a heads up, it says no wifi, gotta be plugged in. Some YouTube vids and reviews on it, checking them out as we speak.

Edit: looks pretty cool. I'm gonna set up with my apogee one and see if it works....

3. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019

It says you can use the mic on your laptop, though I'm sure it'll sound quite bad. Still, a way to get going before you get an interface.

unbrokenchain likes this.
  4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Hmmm, I've got the mic and webcam on my laptop, it's a pretty respectable setup, but being plugged in is going to be tough for me... No Ethernet cable anywhere in the house anymore. Ironically, 20 years ago that used to be all I had but everything here is wireless now.

With all the good bassists here I'd want to play something else for the jam... If we can figure a way to do it, I'd be glad to add banjo or mando or Dobro to the mix, maybe could even get my wife to sing and play guitar. We regularly do some old jazz, some '50s-'80s jazz, some country, some bluegrass; general roots stuff. Mando can be pretty tasteful with a lot of jazz pieces.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    210superair and unbrokenchain like this.
  5. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Is there really a way to do this with no latency? I'm on a desktop, yeah I still got windows 7.. but it is plugged into the wall..

pcake and 210superair like this.
  6. rickwolff

If you find a good tutorial let me know. I don't see much on the Jamkazam site itself.

I'm wondering what kind of interface to get, not sure what ports I have on this new computer, but I have HDMI (if that does any good) and I think the USB ports are type 3 (they are labeled SS for Super Speed).
    You probably have an ethernet connection on your router, don't you?

7. rickwolff

Looking a this for an interface. I'll talk with the folks at Sweetwater tomorrow but any thoughts out there? It sounds like it's very low latency with USB 3.0 which my computer supports.

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Latency can occur within the hardware/software interface connected to the PC. But it also can occur in the multitude of network devices embedded within the internet. Often it's out of anyone's direct control and can be intermittent.

AGCurry likes this.
  9. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yes, but no ethernet cabling at all.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
    • Windows 7 or 8, 64-bit (32-bit not supported)
    • Dual core processor or higher
    • 75MB hard disk space for app
    • External audio interface recommended (but you can start with built-in mic and & headphone jack)
    • USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, or Firewire (not USB 1.1) for external audio interfaces
    • Ethernet port for real-time online sessions (WiFi not recommended)
    • Broadband Internet service with 1Mbps uplink bandwidth for real-time online sessions

Just reading the requirements, it looks like it will use wireless but latency is likely... I might be able to lower the resolution enough to get mine to work with wireless.

10. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Latency is going to be the problem for quite a while if we’re trying to do live performances with more than one musician. One day we’ll figure this out via time travel or something.

BTW, I attended a very nice Facebook Live concert last night.

11. rickwolff

Well, it seems to work. This was FIVE years ago and I have to believe we have faster computers and faster internet connections now that they had then:

and here's another:

longfinger and 210superair like this.
  12. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I just tried to create an account with Jamkazam, which apparently is required in order to put a group of jammers together.

It's a 2014 product (for Windows) and I'm getting a webpage not found error message when trying to complete the account form. Wouldn't surprise me if something has changed since 2014.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: I was able to go directly to the JK website and create an account... So now I'm configuring my hardware with the JK application.

Edit again: Hardware configured. However I'm continuously getting a "!Disconnected from Server! [RECONNECT NOW]" message in the application, clicking [RECONNECT NOW] only repeats the message. Probably complaining about my wireless connection?? How is setup going for everyone else?

13. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yes, some of these controlled proofs of concepts may work when the conditions are ideal (e.g., the performers are all located within a short distance to their local exchange carrier (LEC)), else we’re dealing with the reality of network latency as far as I know. And we’re still dealing with the speed of light.

14. rickwolff

I get the same msg plus one saying I shouldn't use a wifi connection. I have ordered an adapter I ndeed to make a wired connection.

15. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I just got connected. Not sure why, I was tweaking my audio equipment and poof, I'm connected.

16. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Always a bad idea to use the wife connection!

17. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Yea, I'm connected, my audio in, audio out and video are working, I've tested the process using the Sessions => "Quick Start Solo" feature.

Btw, in order to avoid feedback, a headset or earphones are almost required.

I am using my wireless connection, btw. I don't know how well it will work with a group/jam situation, but I'm connected.

Is anyone else on board yet?

Edit: I'm on the system as my name "Don Hergert" if you're looking for me.
    Edit again: Shutting down, gotta walk the dog.

luniere likes this.
  18. rickwolff

Congratulations. Keep us posted, please.

I have ordered an audio interface.

dhergert likes this.
  19. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Sooo, after walking my little dog, I came back and tried to connect in the JK app again, and have not been able to re-connect. Nothing has changed in my config, so I'm thinking I was just lucky before and happened to get into the queue with the JK server at just the right time. This being my first connection with the JK server, I don't know if it is routinely congested or if this is just a bad night. But it was definitely allowing a wifi connection, so I'm not convinced that a hard-wire connection is required.

The other wildcard is I don't know how we pay for this service, or if we do, how much we pay. I suspect that JK has to have some way to monetize, and in doing so, pay their own bills...

At the moment, unless there's some trick to getting re-connected on a regular, predictable basis, I'm not likely to opt to pay for this JK service. But we'll see how it works out, no decision is necessary unless I can get connected again.

20. rickwolff

I just got connected (also on Wifi) and downloaded a jam track which I'm listening to now.

Re: price, the basic service is free if I understand it correctly.

Perhaps the biggest question at this point is whether or not it's dependable getting connected online.

dhergert likes this.