Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jamming with a drummer

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by z4knerd, Oct 28, 2004.

1. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    today i jammed with a real live drummer, and it was a BLAST! But, I had a hard time "improvising" so I just played some riffs that I knew - but even that was hard trying to fit things like that into the drum rhythm. Any tips for jamming and playing like improv? Much thanks in advance!

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The drummer I jam with, there's a definite process happening. I create the bassline and the drummer creates drum pattern that fits. Those basslines can easliy be exchanged for impov. Even if it's just walking basslines

3. BassWolf

BassWolf

Aug 14, 2004
    Personally, the best way to get comfortable to playing with other musicians is to just play with them as much as you can, and you'll get the hang of it. Eventually you'll begin to learn the other musicians styles and you'll come to know what to expect from them. Until then, it might be useful practicing along to a drum machine or improvising your own part along to a cd.

4. Yup. This is what I do. I use a drum machine and I also play along with CD's. Since I've got digital cable I also make use of the music channels to play along with. This is especially useful since I don't get to choose the exact song to play along with.

It also helps considerably to record your practice sessions on either a tape machine or some other device. This way you can go back over your work and pick out interesting grooves that you might want to polish and add to your permanent collection.

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Haha! I do the same thing. The Jazz channel is great, and with 25 other channels you can get a real workout switching between all the different styles of music available

6. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Try just listening to the drummer get into a solid groove. Feel it, let the pattern get inside you. Relax. Don't think about it, let your mind drift while the drum groove wraps around you. If you get into it, a line will occur to you. Before playing anything, sing, scat, hum, shout, whatever, a bass line. *Then* play it. Don't worry if you stumble, stay relaxed and smooth it out each time the pattern comes around. The whole point is to let your ears guide you, instead of your fingers. If you keep slugging away, I guarentee it will get to point where you can play something you've never played before. Even if it's simple.

This might seem silly, but you'ld be surprised what you come up. Definately try out the grooves you already know. My experience is that playing with a drummer will suggest lines that I might not have come up with practicing alone, and letting those out does wonders for your confidence, expressiveness, timing, and adding to your vocabulary.

7. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    Yeah what the last guy said. But also start small, don't worry if it's not the most amazingly complex line, just get used to the concept of jamming. Try just playing a constant note, plodding 8th notes or just a long held out note, and see what happens, thats prob the easiest way of starting.
    Good luck