1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Japanese Squier Jazz Bass E-Series - Value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gimp, Oct 16, 2013.

1. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Catonsville, MD
    Going to look at one of these tonight. Assuming it's in good shape (two small nicks to the wood in the back, lower area - nickel sized) how much should I expect to pay? Serial starts with E6.

I hate these posts, so thanks in advance.

2. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Catonsville, MD
  3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i paid 375 for my A series recently, it is the exact same model as the one pictured above

4. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Catonsville, MD
    I have a closeup of the headstock and it does start with an E, if that makes a difference.

5. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    These are very good quality basses, after seeing pics, I would be fine, IF it played and felt good to you, to offer $300 but a max of $375. I have had and have a few of the Squier 80's basses and they are well worth that cost. Good luck...

6. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Catonsville, MD
    Many thanks. I appreciate the info.

7. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    I paid $400 for mine a few months ago (identical to this one) but it was in absolute mint condition. Guy had bought it new for his wife in the '80s and she never learned to play, so it sat unused in a closet for 25 years. Still had the original strings on it and warranty card, "instruction book" and keys to the hard case. Needed new strings and a setup, of course, but it's now my #1. Great bass.

8. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Well... After I got my SQ Jazz (for cheap) I looked at a lot of MIJ Squier basses. A lot. No lie, hundreds of hours. Found out enough to also get an SQ P bass (for cheap.)

About the lowest I have seen for an E series J bass is ~$150, about the highest was
    ~$500 or so. Your range of $2-400 seems about right.

The second pic, the smaller mark, seems pretty typical, I've seen many of those. The larger mark also looks typical, but may indicate a heavy impact/blow has struck the body at that point. Probably nothing to worry about, just sayin'. It is an F-type intstrument.
    The pic makes it look like it's basswood under the paint, which would also be typical for that era/build type. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin'. Might bother some.

Unplayed, I'd go 2 bills or so. If you play it, and like it, pay as much as it's worth to you.

9. violettj

violettj

Sep 13, 2011
    I have a 1985 with EMG pups and the Tele style volume and tone nobs. I paid $200 for it and it's got some chips like yours. I often think of what having a real Fender would be like. Then I remember, this is a Fender, only made in Japan at the same factory with the same craftsmen as those who made the Fenders. It was equal to or better than some of the stuff coming out of California at that time. Funny, I pulled the neck of mine and what did I see, a fender sticker... Plus, it's got almost 30 years of MOJO!

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    mine is getting a traditional threaded bridge and alleva coppolo jazz pickups next week, i love the resonant body, the responsive tuners, and the neck profile

11. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    +1

Mine got Aguilar 4J-60 pickups (with white covers) and an Audere ProZ preamp. I prefer it over any of the MIA Fender Js I've played, except for my '65, of course.

12. I own Japanese made Fender Jazz and the craftsmanship is amazing.