Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jauqo III X

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lucas vigor, Jan 24, 2005.

1. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I met the man at NAMM, and he was nice enough to give me a CD, "the Low C# theory".

Awesome album! Excellent understated and subtle space-dub with an Ornette Coleman Prime-time meets king Crimson vibe!

I listened to it over and over, and I am pretty sure my kidney stones are dissolved! That rumbling sound was shaking my whole car!

I think I see a King Crimson parallel in the fact that the fretless subcontra sometimes sounds like Tony Levin's early work with King Crimson on the Stick.

Plus, Jaquo III X was a very down to earth and nice guy!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He's the person I steal licks from. Of course, he always tell me I'm more than welcome! He is a great guy.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm awaiting his new album. "The Brown Noise Groove Project". You'll have a gas of a time listening to it :).

4. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I heard Jauqo jammin' at NAMM and there was some serious groove occuring.Heard his CD on the Klein and Hummel $33,000 studio monitors.Sub Contra bass is in credible-it's more than just a theory.

5. not to change the direction of the thread, but i have been having a heck of a time trying to figure out the pronounciation of his name...

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Jauqo rhymes with taco, three ex
    his CD will be available on cd baby.com and Tower Records in about a week or so

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thank you Lucas,I'm glad you Dig the CD and it was nice to meet you as well.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    somebody didn't give ME a copy. -taps foot- ;)

9. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I have an extra copy I can send you, John.

10. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Where can those living outside the United States buy these fantastic albums I keep hearing about?

Must Have.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    J is the man even though he nevers call anymore...sniff...snifff.

OJ ! by the way Jamaladeen is playing at the Tsunami benefit concert that i am hosting in Febraury !

Peace,
    Don

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    ahh... so the CD is done. :eyebrow:

JAUQO III-X is a very down to earth and insightful cat.

I can't wait to hear the CD.

13. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    One thing I found after reading the liner notes of the low c# theory, was that the g$#%tars were recorded independent of each other, meaning, they each only had the drums and Jaquo's bass to go from:

I like that concept

I have recorded some avante garde stuff where the only instrument I listened to for each of the 7 remaining tracks was the drums. I purposely tried to forget what I did on the other tracks, even as far as the key.

What I got was quite musical, as long as I could wrap my brain around it, and try not to be so locked into a certain key or style.

In the case of Jaquo's album, his bass is working such a strong foundation, that it's almost not important that the guitars are at variance with one another...everything is centered and anchored on the bass. Or should I say, all the other instruments are "orbiting" the bass..which is as it should be, seeing how we are the most important aspect of the band! :hyper:

It was interesting that any note can go with any other note...who needs a friggin key anyway? ha ha!

14. Can't wait to check this CD out! :hyper:

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    One thing, I spelled his name wrong! It is JAUQO III X. not Jaquo.

Can't wait for the next album to come out!

16. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I heard his CD will up on CD Baby and Tower.com within 10-12 days or so.I think it's $12.97 at CD Baby,and $15 at Tower.Also,as I understand it,it will be available at Borders in Singapore,Hong Kong etc. in about a month. "The sub contra groove is on the move"

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am really interested in hearing that bass. Jauqo, are you bringing it to philly with you ?

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Jauquo, what is the scale on that sub contra bass? Seems like it would need to be pretty long.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It's a 34"scale Bass

20. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I saw a Jordan Electric Violin at NAMM that was maybe a 10" scale! It had 3 extra strings that went lower, so you could hit Viola, cello and bass tones along with the higher violin voices.

Considering basses are now leaning towards bigger and bigger scale (35" to the dingwall and knuckle bass scales of 37 and higher) I can't figure out why. The guy from Jordan told me it was all about the string, and not so much the scale.

that Jordan Violin was extrememly beefy and powerful sounding. The low notes sounded a lot like a good cello or upright bass should, and yet this scale is smaller then the smallest 27 inch baritone!

I even plucked it, and there were some very good, deep tones coming out!

Why are they able to get great bass tones out of a 10" scale instrument, yet we bassists are having to get extended scale basses just to make the low B sound floppy?