Jazz Bass cap for true 1960 tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GerardoRicc, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Hey everyone, as I already said in the title, I would like to ask what's the best capacitor value to get the closest tone to a 1960 Jazz Bass.
    I have a Squier Vintage Modified with Seymour Duncan SJB1 "vintage tone" pickups and I changed the cheap pots that Squier uses with genuine Fender (CTS) 250K pots.
    Each pot came with a 0.022μF cap but I don't know if it's the right value for the tone I'm trying to achieve.
    There seems to be some debate between 0.022μF 0.047μF.

Any suggestions?

2. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    Check this link. Seems to have two 0.05 μF (or 50 nF) caps. 1960 JB has concentric pots and two 220 kΩ mixing resistors.
    Vintage Bass World - Gallery

Modern closest value is 47 nF or 0,047 μF. Or you can put two 100 nF in series to get exact nominal 50 nF.

3. Thanks!

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Since there's variations in the electrical characteristics of the pickups and pots why not just try each cap value and see which one does it most for you. Since the average cap can vary up to +/- 10% (or more) from the stated value. it's a bit of a crapshoot exactly what value you're actually installing.

Whenever I change the caps in a bass I'll usually try between three and five "identical" caps before I settle on which one sounds best. Many times there's little enough difference to matter. But there's also been a few times when one particular cap sounded significantly better than the others. It doesn't take much work to swap caps so it's a small investment in time. But it has the potential to pay off big. Caps are cheap too. So whenever I buy some, I get a bag of 10 or more so I can try different ones out.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021