Jazz Bass Hum!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by landa, Mar 20, 2006.

1. landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Hello there, I got an annoying Hum/Noise while using my Jazz Bass (sigle coil). Some people told me it is because of the singlr coils & sheilding problwm!!! Do you think I need to re-wire?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

They will always hum when one pickup is soloed. I think the only way to stop it is to get humcancelling J pups.
    iiipopes likes this.
  3. landa

Jan 4, 2006
    I heared about shielding & grounding! But I need some instruction how to do it (& maybe some picks of the procedure). Anyone can help?
  4. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
  5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Just get a set of DiMarzio Model J pickups their humcancelling

6. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA

There's already a great tutorial here on shielding a Jazz. I've followed those instructions for my P-copy, but I now have a MIJ Jazz that I'll be shielding in the very near future.
  7. landa

Jan 4, 2006
    Thanks mariner, I will try that out
  8. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    It could be any one, or a combination, of these things:

Lack of Shielding
    Ground problem
    trademark SC hum

Search around here, and you'll find answers to your questions.

I wouldn't recommend specific pickups, because we don't know what kind of sound the original poster is looking for. The recommendation for humcancelling pickups is a good one, though.
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have three different basses with single coil pickups... Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, Danelectro Longhorn, and a '78 Fender Musicmaster... Hum is just part of the package if you want that killer SC sound... Yeah, it's annoying when I'm playing alone, or between songs on a gig, but while the music's going it is not noticeable...

My Dano is getting quite a bit of playing time, (and will be getting quite a bit more after hearing playbacks from this weekend!), and depending on the venue, it can be pretty 'buzzy' between songs... I'm usually moving like a radar dish during transition times trying to find that 'sweet spot' where the hum is minimized! After I find it, I just face in that direction as much as possible between songs :D

10. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Several brands make hum-cancelling side-by-side or stacked humbucking coils in a J package. Traditionalists will tell you they are heresy but I've liked several of them including DiMarzio Model J and Ultra Jazz*, Bill Lawrence J-45*, Bartolini has several including the newer Classics that I haven't heard yet, Carvin's stacked H50N (I like these at the neck but they are a little compressed and low in output for the bridge).

Shielding alone will never stop noise on a soloed single-coil J pickup...

* Currently my faves
  11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

There is a stickied thread about shielding a Jazz bass. It has lots of pictures to help.
  12. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Or you could just use an NS-2 and you'll forget the hum is even there (until you go to record direct).
  13. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Where is the stickied thread on shielding a Jazz bass? I looked, but couldn't find it. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough.
  14. friedlbug

May 15, 2009
    Near Pittsburgh
    There seems to be a disagreement in the posts above. Will shielding help this problem, or are hum-canceling pickups to only option? I'm making the assumption that this is the same issue that I'm experiencing in my Peavey Millenium BXP 5 (which is a J-styled passive with single-coils).

Jun 4, 2009
    even my american fender deluxe active jazz hums and it has the samarium Cobalt noisless's they are essentially stacked single coils....it's just that traditional sc hum...it's cool....not a big deal unless you are just a stickler. I use a line 6 pod x3 for three things:1. noise gate..Boom...no hum! 2. Compressor...why not it just tightens it up. 3. tuner....gotta have it. invest in a noise suppressor like a boss or something
  16. Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    I get a slight hum out of my new 2009 Jazz Bass but it is not that noticeable unless you face the speaker cab (or sit on the cab itself which I like to do at rehearsals).
  17. ByF

May 19, 2009
    Shielding will help, but it won't eliminate the problem. My Carvin fretless has J-style single coils, and it is pretty well shielded--and I still get some hum. I just turn it down between songs.

Nobody is going to hear it when you're playing, anyhow.

18. Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Shielding will only help to alleviate 60 cycle hum which is an environmental issue. Single coil pickups that are in phase (and grounded properly of course) should cancel any single coil hum out when both bridge and neck pickups are at the same volume levels. Check this out:

Both my basses have single coil jazz pickups and I always play with all the bass controls wide open. Both basses are super quiet. If your preference is to favor one pickup of another (volume wise), you're going to get some single coil hum. The only way to avoid it is to replace the pickup with a split coil that has humbucking properties.
    bdplaid likes this.
  19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Lindy Fralin makes some good split-coil Jazz Bass pickups. They reduced my '60s Classic Jazz hum by 95%.
  20. mexijazz52

Jun 19, 2009
    single coils usualy alwase have a hum unless you have noisless. but if its realy a big concern i would take it to your local guitar shop and ask them to take a look at it.