1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Bass pickup choice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nightvision, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Helo everybody,
    I know there is many threads about JB pickups and i read almost all.
    I bought recently a Fender JB Highway One and want to improve the sound.
    What I don't like about the stock pockups:
    _ Not enough bass, smooth sound, no real bottom, sound have no character.

I search a set of pickup with this 3 qualities:
    - Great low end/ deep sound
    - Big growl/grit/warmth
    - Single coil, no stack or humbucker pickups

I'm interested by the Duncan SJB1/2, Lollar, David Allen.
    I have a PJ with a SJB1 at the bridge and i like the sound, but it's not so different than the stock on the HWY. Hotter and a bit more warmth. But i'm afraid about the low end, not so important.
    SJB2 seems interesting, but maybe a bit too mid heavy?
    Lollar, similar to SJB1 but with more bottom is what i know about them.
    David Allen, i have a P pickup and it's a very great pickup, so why not the J pickups?

Other pickups are welcome

Can I have your opinions? :)

Thanks

2. N I C lK

N I C lK

Aug 21, 2011
    Western New York
  3. N I C lK

N I C lK

Aug 21, 2011
    Western New York

Here is a vid. I'm sure it doesn't showcase the entire spectrum of what these things can accomplish, but hey, it's probably better than nothing. :D

4. I would ressdomend Lindy Fralins, have them in my basses
    if you are looking for that intage sound

5. I don't really want a true vintage pickup, just good pickups with my preferences. Warmth, growl, big low end. Vintage or not...

6. freu

freu

Dec 7, 2010
    on my yt-channel you can find many vids with seymour duncans sjb-1

neck pup

the excellent Tesla pups
    low budget but high budget sound

7. freu

freu

Dec 7, 2010
    on my yt-channel you can find many vids with seymour duncans sjb-1

neck pup

both pups

the excellent Tesla pups
    low budget but high budget sound

8. Freu, I really like the sound of your Jazz Bass, thank you for your links :)
    And Black and Tortoise are my favourite combination, beautiful bass, congrats.

I think my choice will be the SJB1 set

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have two basses with Seymour Duncan SJB-1 pups. Nice pickups. The Fralins seem to get lots of notice for single coil pups. Either one should make you happy.

Otherwise, you open yourself up to the great pickup chase, trying six or seven sets of pickups, taking a financial hit because you sell them used here at a discount, then going back to SJB-1 pups.

I like to look at things simple. Do you want single coil tone? Humbuckers? Overwound grindy pups? Once you have answered that, and you have, try one of two and leave it at that.

10. Just bought a Lakland JO w Lindy Fralins and I coudn't be happier. Everything you described. They have a great growl and plenty grit. Dial back the tone and you get the warmest vintage vibe. I really love the fralins.

11. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Rout for Nordy Big Singles

12. I have SJB-3's in a VM Jazz. I like them alot, but it took a few other component changes to reach their potential in this bass. Strings have by far made the biggest difference.