Jazz bass that is too heavy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gruff, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Gruff

Gruff Supporting Member

May 19, 2021
    Wales, UK
    I have Squier jazz bass that I never play because it's too heavy for me (it's 9.4lbs). I have a 3" air-pocket strap but still get neck/shoulder pain when I play. I used to play it a lot - maybe it started to feel too heavy after extended playing during covid, or maybe it was after I changed the neck to a fretless one. Not sure, but either way, I tend to play my Fender CB60SCE acoustic, or Höfner violin bass instead these days, and the jazz just hangs on the wall.

I'm thinking a different kind of strap might help, something wider, or different type? Any suggestions?

41ILrL8644L._AC_US1000_.jpg

jazz - 1 (1).jpeg

shojii, JRA, mikewalker and 1 other person like this.
  2. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Try a wider strap. 9 1/2 lbs is normal for a Fender Jazz Bass. It’s never going to feel like a Hofner violin bass.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sell it and buy something lighter. There are some rather intricate strap designs that may help.

Riis

Hectobar, sonojono, Erithon and 9 others like this.
  4. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Currently off planet
    Eschew Obfuscation
    I bet you'd just hate my 10.5 lb American deluxe 5 string.

5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I only use Neotech Neoprene Mega bass strap, work like charm on my 9.3lbs jazz bass. Hope it work for you.....

How about swap the bulky himass bridge to fender vintage bent bridge and Gotoh re-o-rite GBR640 on headstock.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Changing your strap can only work if the strap was the problem in the first place. If your problem is the weight of the bass then no strap is going to fix that. . . . you need a lighter bass.

B String, TrustRod, sonojono and 12 others like this.
  7. You'd really dig my '79 fretless Jazz that weights 12 and some change.

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you're feeling pain from the pressure on your shoulder, a wider strap can help. If your back is giving you pain, then it's the total weight, and a strap change isn't the fix.

9. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Treadmill weights and a good diet. Being in good shape helps more than any magic light tuners or super wide strap.

10. My MIM Jazz std weighs about the same (9.4). I don’t play it much anymore.

Jayne M-B and HardNHeavy like this.
  11. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    Somewhere in Jersey
    I use one of these, distributes the weight to both shoulders.
    DuoStrap Neo

12. Winton

Winton

Nov 21, 2017
    Tokyo, Japan
    I use one of those, too!
    It helps me out so much with my physical issues so I can keep playing. I’m using one in my profile picture and the bass feels super light!

BHaev, Jimmy P., Jayne M-B and 2 others like this.
  13. Jayne, have you investigated options for playing in a seated position?

Instrument weight might not be as much of an issue

I've suffered from a congenital back problem my entire adult life (I'm 59 - chronic pain since 19 ) and I can handle a heavy bass (over 5 kg) in a semi seated position i.e. tall stool - right leg on footrest, left on floor, with bass - although strapped on - largely resting on right thigh.

I find this helps a lot

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
  15. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I use 4 inch italia straps.

4 Inch Wide Guitar Straps and Bass Straps

They have normally run a BOGO sale often...right now infact.

Buy One, Get One Free

Good Luck!

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I eventually moved to a Hofner Ignition Club after developing shoulder pain after decades of heavier basses. I don't miss them.

17. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Buy an Ibanez EHB. No headstock so no lever weight from it, and light weight.

18. If you look on Sweetwater the list the weights of every bass they sell and, if you're patient, you should be able to find some Jazz (or Jazz style) basses under 9 lbs and maybe even under 8 lbs.

Edit: just ran a search and found two Fender Aerodyne Jazzes under 8 lbs.
    Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass - Black | Sweetwater

Edit: found some Squier Jazz basses in the low to mid-8 lb range:
    Squier Affinity Series Jazz Bass 3-color Sunburst with Maple Fingerboard | Sweetwater
    Squier Affinity Series Jazz Bass Black with Maple Fingerboard | Sweetwater
    Squier Affinity Series Jazz Bass Charcoal Frost Metallic with Laurel Fingerboard | Sweetwater

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  19. Bill Murray

Bill Murray

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Keep the bass and buy a stool

20. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    I recall in Get Back hearing John Lennon remark, “These Fenders are heavy!”. They were mostly playing hollow and semi-hollow bodied guitars before then.