Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz/Blues/walking lines in books?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Chef, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm looking for some books on walking bass lines and jazz/blues lines. I play this stuff pretty well, but don't read so well, so I'm looking for some stuff to practice site reading, but in genres I already like and understand pretty well...

Thanks!

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Sorry to sound like a broken record... I'm going to say Aebersold.

I just recently got volume 6, All Bird and the accompanying book of transcriptions of Ron Carter's lines from that. Very cool.

Check out jazzbooks.com, there's quite a few transcription books that have walking lines in them.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Where deos one get Aebersold stuff at a good price point?

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I don't, because I'm in the UK and we typically pay two or three times more for the same thing. And still I'm happy with them. Go to jazzbooks.com and you're buying direct from the publisher.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If you want to start nice and simple, try Ed Friedland's 'Building Walking Basslines'.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I also like that particular Volume...though Ed Fuqua will get in here & say the recording drags worse than a Bluegrass bassist.
    (I haven't heard the recording).

Mike Richmond's book on walking is also good...not sure if it's still available, though.

7. Yep all Aebersold material are good practice honing licks getting fimilar with improvising over chord prog. I have a copy of Paul chambers transcrption book which is good for sightreading and stealing a few of his lines but that's about it , it is good for but using your ear is by far the best method

* Waits for Ed Fuqua to respond *

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Come to think of it, the newest Bass Player has a quick review of a new(?) Paul Chambers book & a Sam Jones book...it's in their Music Review section.

9. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Try BassBooks.com to find most of this stuff.

John

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Thanks!

11. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    "Fingerboard Harmony for Bass" by Gary Willis.

Slightly different approach that will tweak your brain and hands for a lifetime. And it's easy too. Just do the work.

12. Another Abersold that's good is volume 30B, Rhythm Section Workout. It has nice lines by Todd Coolman written out. Plus you could practice with just the bass, or without the bass.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    More thanks!