Jazz books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maxy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I started lisenting to jazz - only weather report(this is jazz vol 10), jaco (self titled) and stanley clarke(live greek) and i really love it.

I am working on Ed friedland's Walking Bass Series but other than that i have been surfing amazon.com for understanding jazz better.

I have thinking of starting this way:

Jimmy Amadie's series of books (Harmonic foundation for jazz and popular music + Jazz Improv: How to play and teach it)
    Levine's theory book and Connecting Chords With Linear Harmony by Bert Ligon.

These are some first ones from amazon.com list manias. I dont know jazz theory but have a good grasp on chord theory, modes, voicing...

where shud i start? Are the above ok or should i add the aerbersold volumes as well?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Levine's book is excellent.
    Some of the Aebersold Voluimes have "Bass books"(e.g. Volume 6 "All Bird")...lotta walking bass transcriptions.

If you're just getting into Jazz, I also recommend Mark Gridley's Jazz Styles...for a little history & perspective. Good reading, IMO.
  3. maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    Thanx for the suggestion.

THere are so aebersold books. Which ones shud i start with and are my choice of books ok or conflicting with each other(i.e. having the same material)?