1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by maxy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    I started lisenting to jazz - only weather report(this is jazz vol 10), jaco (self titled) and stanley clarke(live greek) and i really love it.

I am working on Ed friedland's Walking Bass Series but other than that i have been surfing amazon.com for understanding jazz better.

I have thinking of starting this way:

Jimmy Amadie's series of books (Harmonic foundation for jazz and popular music + Jazz Improv: How to play and teach it)
    Levine's theory book and Connecting Chords With Linear Harmony by Bert Ligon.

These are some first ones from amazon.com list manias. I dont know jazz theory but have a good grasp on chord theory, modes, voicing...

where shud i start? Are the above ok or should i add the aerbersold volumes as well?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Levine's book is excellent.
    Some of the Aebersold Voluimes have "Bass books"(e.g. Volume 6 "All Bird")...lotta walking bass transcriptions.

If you're just getting into Jazz, I also recommend Mark Gridley's Jazz Styles...for a little history & perspective. Good reading, IMO.

3. maxy

maxy

Jun 24, 2004
    Thanx for the suggestion.

THere are so aebersold books. Which ones shud i start with and are my choice of books ok or conflicting with each other(i.e. having the same material)?