Jazz Double Bass Forum?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by vjfourfreshmen, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Hi all, I am new to TB and so happy to be here.

I see forums on: basses, orchestral technique, setup and repair, etc.
    How about a forum on Jazz Double Bass? I sure would be visiting that one a lot!!!

I am currently looking for a new bass for jazz. Any thoughts on the best new basses? Anyone selling an already fabulous jazz bass (vintage or new, hybrid or carved)?

I am planning on selling two basses in the near future.
    The first is a 1928 Czech made 7/8 5 string bass. This bass shakes the whole house, especially the low B string!! Excellent response with both arco and pizz. Might not be able to part with it!

The second is a laminated bass that is set up very well.

So happy to be here!!
    Vince Johnson
    Four Freshmen 2000 and beyond www.fourfreshmen.com
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Vince, welcome here! It's a pleasure to have you.

As you've noted, there's not a "jazz forum" per se. So many of us on the DB side play jazz that personally, I feel like jazzitude permeates the site. But if you feel strongly about it . . .

Don't hesitate to speak right up!
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've suggested that we should have a Jazz forum many times over the past 3 -4 years - but the feeling has been very much anti!

People have said that we shouldn't have forums for different genres of music as where would you stop? Bluegrass forum, experimental, avant-garde hip-hop fusions with traditional Palestinian microtonal music? ;)
  4. Welcome, Vince! I'm an old 61 year old jazzer, also a five string low B player. You can see my bass on our "The TalkBasses" under Basses. The reason I mentioned that I was an old jazzer is that even though we don't have a Jazz Double Bass heading per se, believe me there is plenty room here for us Jazzers! We have many really good jazz bassists here and it shouldn't take you long to find out!
    The other reason I mentioned my age, is that obviously, I cut alot of teeth on the Four Freshmen! What a great contribution they made to our music! All those tunes man, and all those records. Really happy to hear that you're continuing that tradition!
    Be sure to visit our newbie stuff at the begining of each heading and you can put your for sale stuff up in the classifieds at the end of the "menu"
  5. Hi again all,
    I can understand that a jazz heading might not fit under the basses heading in that it is a musical style. But, good to know that there are a lot of jazz bassists here.

Paul, I checked out your bass on the talkbass site. Wow, what a unique bass. Looks pretty easy to play as well. My five is pretty easy to play as the neck is not that thick for a 5 string and the fingerboard is so meticulously done.

I notice you are in the Denver "area". We are playing two shows in CO next week. I don't think they are that close to Denver but if you or anyone else is interested here's the info which is also at www.fourfreshmen.com:
    January 14, 2004 Grand Junction, CO Two Rivers Convention Center
    Box Office: 970 243 8497
    January 15, 2004 Montrose, CO Montrose Pavilion
    Box office: 970 243 8497

I don't usually post "plugs" but I noticed you were in Colorado.

Vince J.
  6. hi there, im new to forum and i agree a jazz forum would be a good idea but i can see the argument against it. What age did you guys start playing bass just out of interest?
  7. Hey vince, I saw you guys play at the Lionel Hampton festival. Just wanted to let ya know that I was impressed...