1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz Gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Interceptor, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    OK, I'm in a happy place. After almost 30 years, I'm about to be playing "fake book" jazz again.

Right now my rig is an old Bassman into one or two EV cabs. I like the rig, but, well, let's see - it has been 30 years since I've played straight up jazz. I'm no kid. It is time for something lighter.

What are you other guys using in an acoustic level environment? we are not planning on using support for the horns, piano or drums.

I appreciate any insight.

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    For a head, I gotta say a LMII. Check the classifieds.......the last I looked there were 5 of them for sale. Either one could be had for about $400

Cabs.............
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533143 - Epi UL310, shipped for $575

If you do go the LMII route, make sure you get a cab that is 4ohms

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Interceptor.

Amps made by Acoustic Image are popular with jazz players.

You may wish to inquire in the double bass forums re good jazz amps.

4. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Bet your Bassman will be great. Maybe a little smaller, lighter cab would be nice, ala Berg HT or EX112ER.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dude, other than a B-15, I can't think of a better amp for that stuff than the Bassman. Just get a lighter cab and rock them tubes!

6. Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Thanks Jimmy, I'm going to run with your advice! Very appreciated.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Is the before or after you buy a real DB!! ;)

8. Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Before, but I wouldn't be surprized if I end up there.

9. Another shout for my GB Shuttle 6.0-12T. I've used it on a coupla' dozen jazz gigs since I bought it a few months ago. I'm just as amazed by the sound as I am the portability. And it sounds terrific at much higher volume levels then I ever would've expected. 32lbs of gain with no pain. :D

Congrats on the gig. I love my R&B, rock, yada yada gigs, but there is nothing like digging into some jazz with great players in an intimate setting.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm digging the EA Micro 300 - fit's in the pocket of my gig. Not a powerhouse but plenty enough for the acoustic jazz/swing/newgrass stuff I'm doing. I drive a warmish 1x15 or a Bag End S15X-D or an Avatar 1x12 depending on the room.

I'm typically holding down the bottom of a trio where I have a combination of 2 guitars, or mando, or banjo or tenor guitar and voices above me. Once in a while it's a quartet where we add a mando/tenor guitar/violin/guitarist.

back to the amp ... the Micro 300 has a 2 channel mixer built in. It there are two instruments plugged in you get your choice of ewither channel for two basses or both channels, 1 for bass the other for ??? a mixer with a couple of pickup equipped acoustics and a mic. Thats where the Bag End comes in - the co-ax speaker is really full range and it works great in a more like sound reinforcement role... super efficient too.

I'm also really, really digging a mid 90's Godin Acoustibass - it is amazingly woody with the LR Baggs system and TIJF's. I also have an A4 that I'm warming to. the Acoustibass is warmer though and it's as close to a fretted upright db as I'm likely to find.

Your bassman will suffice if you have a cab efficient enough but after living with a Micro Amp I can't really see carrying a tube amp out of the house.

11. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Upright. For straight ahead jazz, there really is no substitute! If you're thinking about going that way in the future you might as well get an amp that can work with it now -- your bassman won't be a good upright rig.

I play with a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10t, which weighs 18lbs and sounds great. I can add a 1x12 underneath it for electric gigs and get 300W; enough for anything IMHO. You can find the combos for $500-$550 used, which is an amazing deal.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I do like the Shuttle, no doubt, but why wouldn't a Bassman make a good head for upright? Don't tell me you buy into that SS is better for upright silliness!

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup - fraid so - you need plenty of headroom and no distortion!

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nonsense. I use my B-15N all the time with my upright and a better upright sound you never heard. An SVT does considerable justice to an upright, too.

15. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    For me (not necessarily for everyone else):

Electric bass amp = part of the instrument
    Upright bass amp = necessary evil

For EB amp, I want "tone"
    for UB amp, I want "accuracy"

Tubes = tone
    SS = accuracy

Also, UB is such a royal PITA in every other way (setup, maintenance, hauling around, worrying about damage, humidity, micing, feedback, etc) it's really nice to use an amp with it that weighs 18lbs, is totally plug-and-play, has a great DI, etc. etc...

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that's what I thought last year before I remembered I was a man ;)

:bag:

But all seriousness aside, unlike a lot of bass players on here I support the right of people to play what they think is right for their styles. But playing upright through an old Ampeg tube amp is the shizzy, and this business about tube amps being "dirty" just ain't so if you don't push them into the red. Believe it or not, we all aren't looking for distorted tones out of our tube amps. And I see no reason why a Bassman wouldn't be the shizzy for a small gig, too.

17. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Mesa Walkabout Scout

18. Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    It'll be a while before I add an upright. The summer gigging season is about to hit me, and there isn't going to be the time to dedicate to learning another instrument until fall settles in.

I think Jimmy is on to something. The best sounding player I heard all year was in a bar on the main drag in Nashville. She was playing a beat to snot Kay through an Ampeg V4BH into a Ampeg 410 HLF. It sounded very fat and had slam to kill for. Big fun, but by no means a pairing one would have usually thought of.

Oh well, another downsizing scheme shot to pieces. That's alright.

19. Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Uhh oh.

Gonna have to bring that one up with the war department. (I was trained by WWII vets.)