1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Guitar Technique Books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mambo4, Sep 16, 2019.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Not bass related exactly: I'm looking to bone up on Jazz guitar technique.
    I know my way around a guitar, but I'm very out of practice
    So, I'm looking for solid technique drills and metronome exercises more than theory or repertoire.

any suggestions?

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  2. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Not strictly responsive to your request, but I've been listening to the Learn Jazz Standards podcast and found it very helpful. He plays guitar although the show is instrument agnostic. The price is right (free!)

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  3. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Stumbled on this while looking around after reading your post. I don’t have any experience with the books mentioned. Good luck in your search!

Mickey Baker vs Jody Fisher?

4. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Please let us know how you make out @mambo4 ! I’m a bit of an instructional junkie and after reading up on these methods I decided to take a chance on Baker....for the price seemed like a great value.

5. So many books, so little time...

Whousedtoplay and ErikP.Bass like this.
  6. I heard some phrase that I recognized in the sound clips of Finnery's book. So I bought it. It's a disease, I tell ya... I'd be embarrassed to show you guys how many books I already have. Do I really study them? Some. A little. But realistically I can't possibly live long enough to learn all the stuff in half the books I have.

GastonD, ErikP.Bass and Whousedtoplay like this.
  7. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    IamGroot, ErikP.Bass and Spin Doctor like this.
  8. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Add videos to it and you're double screwed...

Spin Doctor likes this.
  9. Since we're on the topic, I get most of my information on scale usage and improvisation from guitar books vice bass books. I really like the books Don Mock wrote. They are very accessable and fun to play with. Like this one:

Guitar Secrets: Melodic Minor Revealed, Book & CD

ErikP.Bass and mambo4 like this.
  10. Ironically, I was cleaning a closet yesterday and found a copy of Victor Wooten's Groove Workshop DVD that I bought in 2016, according to Amazon. Still in the wrapper...

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  11. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Oh man Spin Doctor! You’ve got to crack that open...it’s phenomemal. It tracks closely to the Music Lesson with a lot of the concepts. The audio book of that is great, I really enjoyed it.

12. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Not very far into Baker, but on the first lesson (the 26 or so 'beginner' chords) he throws out a D13b5b9 with no root.
    Seems like a chord for a non-beginner to me. It does not strike me as fundamental ( It's also pretty darn hard to finger.) I found it so odd that I googled it, and lo and behold there are many threads in many forums asking about that specific chord from that specific book.

I find Rick Beato covers the fundamentals better in some of his videos.

I found the 18 chords in his Intro to Jazz Guitar Language For Rockers vid
    more concise and manageable (and easier to play).

Also Rick's Elements of Jazz explained is an excellent summary of the fundamentals of Jazz chord progressions

I'll keep working with Baker -difficulty and obtuse chord choice is no reason to avoid it.
    But I'm also drilling on the 18 chords rick listed.

for the curious the 18 'Beato' chord shapes are:

E String Root (A chords)

Maj 7 - 5x665x
    Dom 7 - 5x565x
    m7 - 5x555x
    m7b5 - 5x554x
    Dim 7 - 5x454x
    Dom 13 - 5x567x
    Dom7#5 - 5x566x

A String Root (D chords)

Maj 7 - x5767x
    Dom 7 - x5757x
    Min 7 - x5754x
    m7b5 - x5656x
    Dim 7 - x5646x
    7#9 - x5456x
    7b9 - x5454x
    m9 - x5355x
    Dom 9 - x5455x

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  13. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks for sharing those Rick Beato videos and for circling back with your thoughts on the Baker book. I had the same *** moment with chords 6 and then 7.....YOWZA! Emphasis on the OW!

As I was working through the 26 again last night I found myself playing around with the number of notes and fingerings to see what I found to be more comfortable yet still highlighted the harmonic richness and color of the chord. I was peeking ahead and dig how he lists where/how to use the chords in a tune by citing the original progression alongside the new.

I’m sure you’ve seen them in your browsing but if not there are two people on YouTube who’ve recorded many of the exercises in the book which is nice to have as a reference. Thanks again for sharing, I’m definitely going to be working the Beato voicings/fingerings into my practice.

Attached Files:

mambo4 likes this.