1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz maple neck back bow without strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joshua Phelps, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    I have a Geddy lee jazz bass & I've adjusted the neck to its optimum forward bow. My question is that when I remove the strings it back bows a good bit. None of my other jazzes do this but they all have rosewood boards so is this common for maple board necks?

Thanks guys

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I'm not sure if that's more common with maple boards or not, but maple is generally less stiff than rosewood, all things being equal. So, it would make sense that the Geddy neck would need more backbow with the strings off so that it didn't have too much relief for the rod to remove when the strings were on. Is the Geddy neck also a little thinner than the other necks?

Many basses, guitars, etc. actually go into a backbow when the strings are taken off. I've worked on basses with quarter sawn maple necks & ebony boards that went into a backbow with the strings off. There are tendencies and trends, but it can depend on each individual neck.

3. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    Yes I think one of the specs for GLB is a thin c shaped neck.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Not unusual.

It's not so much what kind of wood as which piece of wood. The maple board neck is more flexible because of the individual pieces of wood that make up the neck. Not necessarily because it is maple vs. rosewood. Besides, the fingerboards, because of their thickness on Fender basses, do not contribute much to neck stiffness.

In any event, it is not something to worry about.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Weaker and some thin necked basses do this when strings are removed. The best way to change strings is one at a time and tune up the new ones as you install em.

6. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    Geddys have a thinner neck than other Jazzes. So, I'm not surprised.