1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz metal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SenorQueso, Apr 19, 2006.

1. SenorQueso

SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    Just a quick question I know is ridiculous and the two probably would not mix well. But is Jazz metal possiable, or is it just another on of my crazy ideas that are musically impossiable?:ninja:

If this is in the wrong section of the forums move it for me:D

2. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+"jazz+metal"++site:talkbass.com&btnG=Google+Search

A whole rundown of times it was discussed at talkbass.com. Long story short, yes it's possible. You won't see it selling like "mallcore", but it does exist. Even part of my drone metal project includes jazz riffing. Some bands I can think of off the top of my head that fit the bill:

Cynic
    Death
    Atheist
    Aghora
    Spiral Architect
    Watchtower
    Ephel Duath
    Ohm

3. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Actually that sounds kind of cool. Don't play jazz myself, but it's really a feely kind of music and can be tough, you would have to be real good at that first to pull it off I think.

while metal can be easy to play, you'd have to give it it's due and come correct with it.

One of my fav albums Badmotorfinger Soungarden was actually kind of a mix of sabbath guitar and punk beats.

but, I can see it being really cool done right. Please though get a good singer and not some off key screaming ass monkey with bad hygene that needs a shave.

I'm hearing too many good metal bands these day that I just can't listen too because of the lack of decent vocals.

Screaming every word isn't metal, it's just ghey and talentless.

4. SenorQueso

SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    Don't worry it would really be instrumental and maybe the occasional song with a good singer. I really know what you mean with that excuse they call singing in metal bands now aday's!

Also, I know this is an oxymoron. But have you heard of progressive punk? :meh:

5. +1. I can't count the number of times someone has played something for me that starts with great instrumental arrangements, and just when I think it's something I could really get into, the screaming starts. :rollno: Just not my cup of tea, to put it kindly.:scowl:

6. The Mass are a metal band with a sax player.

7. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Sleep Terror is a technical death metal band that has a lot of jazz stuff in them. They are strictly instrumental though. Its really fast and technical but they do weird jazz stuff too which is cool.

8. slaprock

slaprock

Dec 19, 2004
    tacoma, wa
    sleep terror is the best example i can think of.

9. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'd definitely check out Cynic if I were you...it's one of my favorite albums.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Infectious grooves are good, although they're kinda funk metal. I just love mentioning them, Trujilo is amazing.

11. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Mahavishnu Orchestra, though fusion there's lots of metal style guitar licks.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ephel Duath is the first band I've ever heard really nail it.

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    For a completely different mixture of jazz and metal, check out Bohren und der Club of Gore. Slow, gloomy stuff made with jazz instruments but a very doom metal atmosphere.

14. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Opeth especially the last album

15. funk_dat_jazz

funk_dat_jazz

Mar 10, 2006
    would mr.Bungle fit the description im going to listen to them now havent done so in a while.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There's a great band from my town called Profane, and I think that they represent jazz/metal very well. It also helps that their bass player is awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/profane

17. Dillinger Escape Plan?
    -Alex

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It must just be me, but Sleep Terror just sounds like typical shred. While I dug that link to Profane's myspace, I didn't get too much of a jazz vibe from them.

Ephel Duath and The Mass are best two examples that I've found. Glueleg is rock and roll with a jazz inspired horn section. The Urge is slightly ska, but still good.

Others that have jazz and metal influences (among other things):
    Kayo Dot
    Maudlin of the Well
    Yakuza
    Candiria
    Sau

Some links that you might enjoy:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217498&highlight=jazz+metal
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199594&highlight=jazz+metal

19. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I listened to that Profane band and don't really hear a jazz influence at all. It souned kind of emoish or whatever the hell that's called at the beginning, but the rest seemed just like straight up metal.
    Dillinger has some occassional jazzy breaks; hence why I mentioned them.
    -Alex

20. Cryptopsy have some nice jazz breaks; a surprising amount of extreme metal has quite a strong jazz influence, normally in the odd time signatures department. Ephel Duath are pretty insanely talented though. Not many of these acts will do any kind of clean vocals though... :meh: