Jazz on Steroids done-need P & J players help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1960LesPaul, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Here she is in all of her glory. My crappy pics don't do her justice. She sounds MEAN. Ironically still retains a Jazz flavor but more modern and muscle. Plays decent but since this was a build from scratch I am going to take it to a local who is renown for setting up guitars and basses. It is BMW silver with a Modulus P neck on a Jazz MIM alder body. EMG 40DC pups with EMG BTC preamp. Badass II bridge. The body was routed to accept the larger pups and the guy who did it did such a great job with that it looks like it came from the factory like that.

Now I am a gui**** and like sissy bass strings lol but I found out that a jazz doesn't do well with 40-95 on my other Jazz especially at a half step down so I use 45-105 and that felt good. So this bass I put on 45-105 and tuned standard and it still feels a bit light. Maybe this is more of a Modulus players question but are these necks so rigid that heavier strings work better? I would like to get the action down a tiny bit more and was thinking a 45-110 or 50-110 might give me more string tension. What is everyone's opinion?

2. NICE bass bro.

GASSSSS PAINSSS!!

3. Thank you. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Wow! I bet that bass has some pop!

5. nice bass, love the graphite!

as for your question: different brands may have a higher tension in a 45-105. To me D'Addario's 45-105 feel much lighter and floppier than strings from Fender or Dean Markley in the same guage. If you are always tuned 1/2 step down then you can use the heavier gauge no problem.
    As for regular tuning: the neck may be stiff enough but it is also thin, so I would stick with 45-105 in regular tuning.

6. Thanks, I was just lookind at DR's website and they say the low beams have a bit more tension. The bass can get pretty bright so that might be the ticket.

7. Some snap and crackle too lol.

8. The DR Lowbeams were the absolute perfect choice for this bass. Now I have it playing well too.

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Do you mean Lo Riders? I run the 45-130 set on my Q5 and love 'em. FWIW, I have a P bass with that same neck and I run the La Bella Jamerson set (52-110) with no problems.

10. Sorry yes I meant Lo Riders. Well after I made my last post I went to play a few songs on it as I have a show this weekend and I am a dummy. I had the bass tuned to e-flat. I have 2 cirruses. One at e-flat one standard. I forgot that the gigbags got switched. Now that the Jazz is tuned to standard there is plenty of tension and the action is low and fast. Now I wish I would have bought 40-100 lol.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021