jazz pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by McCalister999, Jun 9, 2005.

1. I am replacing my Fender Jazz pickups, and I'm looking for suggestions on what replacements to get. My "ideal" sound is close to the bass in Tool, (of course I know I'm not going to get that exact sound, that's the general sound I'm going for).
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

wouldn't know Tool if I heard them, but they're mentioned periodically in pup reviews.

The standard top 5% in current vogue are probably Nords NJ4/NJ4SE; Dimarzio Model J's/Ultra's, Fender Custom Shop/Noiseless, Duncan Anitquity I/II's, EMG active J's. Also Bart J's are also a consideration - if you like Barts.

Ample reviews are to be had from a google search.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You always have to put that qualifier in there, don't you. :smug:
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Yep, Barts are great but they aren't like other pups, they're more like Lane Poors. Players who haven't had Barts are very likely to be hung up by the tone at first and have to develope a taste for them - except guys into jazz or guys with an eclectic taste in music. I like 'em just fine.
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I'm subbing in for a band that does a very Tool-like track, and the Lindy Fralin Split Jazz pickups I recently acquired do justice to it with a touch of overdrive and the bridge pickup rolled back a third. I'm sure other hum-canceling Jazz pickups would work, and for heavy tones the DiMarzio Model J seems to be a good choice.
  6. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    Barts are always good... Duncan Hot Jazz or Vintage jazz are nice. If you want to stay Fender, the noiseless pups are sweet.
  7. EMG J's would be perfect for what you are playing. EMG Love! :bassist:
  8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    He plays a Wal, so the sound he gets is from an amazing humbucker, wired through an amazing pre, strapped to an amazing slab of woods. I wish I could actually play one of those... they seem amazing.

Anyway, the tone I've seen that got remotely close was on something with a high output, dual humbucker setup. When I had EMG Soapbars (DC) they were pretty close. But that won't fit.

I'd say stick with the highest output J you can find, something stacked maybe (humbucker, but J size). Active is probably a good idea, at least for the preamp. J basses have a tone that tends to fear the beefy tone (on most occasions), but they also make a ton of different PUs for them and I haven't sampled them all. The Quarter Pound SDs have a beefy tone, I have played those.