Jazz play-along instruction book recommendations please.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rockin John, Nov 8, 2004.

1. I'd like to get a beginner's standard instructional jazz book with CD where the bass parts are written in standard notation.

Advice please.

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    For improvisation, you can't really go wrong with the Aebersold playalongs.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'd recommend Ed Friedland's "Jazz Bass" - I used this when I started trying to play Jazz and have since leant my copy to other beginners, who have found it helpful! :)

It gives you all the basics you need as a Jazz bass player and has a CD to play along with, covering the most common styles you are likely to encounter - well a beginner's introduction anyway...
  4. John Goldsby's The Jazz Bass Book is a good book that traces the history of jazz in it's lessons
  5. Thanks, folks.

Bruce, I'd already earmarked your suggestion as a possibility when browsing a book catalogue @ my dealer last week. Went in this morning and ordered it. Brilliant. It's only £11.99 incl the CD. Most books like that, you'd have to add another fiver at least.

Thanks to DLloyd and Ogyen. Your suggestions are being followed up by the dealer.

Thanks again.

6. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I would like to recommend Reading Bass Parts Vol. 1 and Vol. 3. These books are EXACTLY what you asked for.

"Each volume is a combination reading book / play-along CD. On the CD you will hear each song twice. The first time you can read along. The second time the bass is muted so you can play the written part or improvise your own line."
  7. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003

+1 And there is a HUGE selection of resources there beside the playalongs. Good stuff!
  8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    yeah, Aebersodl tend to pretty costly and can be fairly tough to get hold of, but the two I'd recommend to start with blues in all keys and maiden voyage
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member