1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudelove, May 10, 2010.

1. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    Hi im looking for a bass that sound like fender jazz, that is not a jazz body or PU:bassist:

2. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    why would you want to do that?:eyebrow:
    If you want something that sounds like a fender jazz than get a fender jazz?:confused:

3. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    why not!
    but anyway if cant find any im gonna take one. but if some one knows please tell me:crying:

4. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Maybe th OP likes the tone but not the body shape...

ive got to say though if it hasnt got Jazz pickups it wont sound like a Jazz..i could be wrong

5. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Fender Jag bass?

6. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    hey what is th OP?? im not that good to read shortnames

7. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    i dont like the way jag´s look

8. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    OP= Original Post or Poster. In this case You.
    I think you're gonna have a hard time doing this unless you want to spend alot of money.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    certain warwick models have j pickups and dont look like a jazz although they sound have more growl then j basses do

10. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yeah, there is always a Warwick Corvette. It's pretty good in a jazz setting. Also the Thumb would probably be better than the Corvette, but they'll put a hole in your pocket

11. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
  12. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Back to the subject. First thing that comes to mind is a G&L (Tribute) L-2000. They seem to approach the Jazz tone, but I heard of people modding the bass (adding a split coil switch or something???) that makes the bass sound even more like a Jazz. The second thing I think of is a Lakland 44-02, though that one has a single coil and a split humbucker. I think you will just have to face that if you want a bass that sounds like a Jazz, you need single coils. Some while ago I was in the same market. I wanted a bass that sounded like a Jazz, but was not a Jazz. In the end I bought a Fender anyway, because it matched the tone and playability I was looking for. I found out by playing a sweet black and maple MIA with a white pickguard. Drool!

13. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Look, dude, you asked for a Jazz sounding bass that doesn't look like a Fender Jazz. The Jag looks quite distinct, and I think it looks nice, not ugly at all. If you're just going to be snarky with people when they offer suggestions, why even bother asking?

14. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    you can mod a bass you like or have a custom one made...

for jazz sound, you need jazz pickups in the right position, so proper pickup spacing is required. you can rehouse the pickups so that they don't look like jazz pickups...

the rest of the bass can be whatever you like, just keep it regular (34") scale...

15. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    it Might be a G&L im gonna go for.

16. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    ... We should stop hinting at etiquette on here. I do think wanting a jazz sound without jazz pickups is being a bit pedantic. I can't see why. Don't like the look? I know pups aren't really an aesthetic thing, but I think they're bloody sexy

17. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    So back on topic: a G&L is a solid pick, but without the mod I spoke of earlier, you can probably only approach the Jazz tone, not nail it.

18. dudelove

dudelove

Apr 16, 2010
    Greenland, Nuuk
    i like look of jazz body and pu, but every where you go, you see jazz´s and more. i want to bee "unique" then other guys with jazz´s :D or something if you guys are with me:smug:

19. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    This just seems like you're trying to re-invent the wheel here. Being unique is all good, but there's a point where it just has no point. Do you want to play music or are you looking to buy a big heavy necklace? The unique part Should be the music coming out of the instrument, just sayin.

BTW, Im with you on the Jag styling. To each his own I guess.

20. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    You could try some of the Warwick Rockbasses, they have an alder body, maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard, very close to a jazz bass. they have jazz pups but you won't be getting a jazz bass sound without jazz pups in the right position.