Jazzer vs Superflexible

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am sadly having second thoughts about the Pirastro Permanents I recently installed. Well specifically there are two things - one is the very slight drop in volume from the Dominant A and Spiro C extension, the other is the lack of fundamental below low E for pizzicato. Other than that, the strings are very nice - warm tone, good response with the bow, and a nice pizz punch. They have a bit more damping in them than I expected. On the positive side the shorter sustain matches better with the gut strings on the top. However I think it's also what is responsible for the two complaints I have.

Ironically, I keep coming back to the Spirocore C extension string. That string is bright as hell and not all that great with the bow but it does have a lot of volume and has a strong fundamental pizz or arco all the way down to C. If I use the Spiro then I'm also presented with the problem of what to use as an A string that matches the gut and transitions to a brighter bottom string. The Dominant A was OK although a bit bright and the thought of breakage scares me especially since I've taken it off and on a couple of times (and I got it used).

I do have a Superflexible A lying around and am thinking about trying a Superflexible C extension. Also there are Jazzers.

Can anybody comment on the Jazzers vs Superflexibles? I believe the latter are easier to bow?
  2. I've used both but not on the same bass unfortunately. Jazzers bow a lot better than you'd expect, certainly better tahn spiros but I consider supers better, to be darker and to have much less of the fretless BG buzz quality, best known from spiro weichs. I think supers probably have less sustain than jazzers. I consider my super e string to be particularly good for tone focus and growl and bow - whether than means you get a good C ext I couldn't say but they are cheap enough to try first. I don't think supers are as loud as spiro mittels. Don Zeb was using Supers and should be worth asking.
  3. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    I've used both the Superflexible and Jazzer long C strings. I had Superflexibles were several years ago and I remember not liking them much. They just seemed to have a kind of a muddiness, in spite of them being a fairly bright steel string. It's hard to describe--kind of like there was a haze around the sound. They do bow fairly nicely, though.

I've used the Jazzer long C for the last 3 or 4 years and have no plans to change. It has a lot of the clarity and sustain of a Spirocore, but better arco response (IMHO) and a slightly warmer sound.

My guess is either choice would be somewhere between the Spiro and Permanent, with the Jazzer quite close to the Spiro and the Superflex a little further towards the Permanent.