1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazzschool Bass Classes w/ Glenn Richman

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jazzschool, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jazzschool

Jazzschool

Jan 5, 2013
    Berkeley, CA
    Jazzschool, Berkeley CA: for music study and performance
    Bass I

A foundational class for both upright and electric bass. Open to players with little or no experience and also to those with significant playing experience who would like to improve their reading ability and fingerboard knowledge. Working from Simandl’s New Method for the Double Bass and the instructor’s study materials, students become familiar with the fingerboard from the open strings up through the 5th fret (electric bass)/2nd position (upright bass). Students work from classical scale-based etudes and also learn jazz bass lines as applied to blues and standards, prepared by the instructor. Students practice proper posture and hand position, and develop the ability to make smooth position shifts. Students are also coached on getting a good sound from the instrument and on learning to properly use an amplifier.

Prerequisites: none. Students must bring a bass to class. Class text: New Method for the Double Bass, Simandl (available at Jazzschool Books and Records).

WINTER: 1/10 – 3/14 (10 weeks)
    Thursdays 4:45 – 6:15 pm
    Glenn Richman  $365

Register

Bass II

A continuation of Bass I. For upright and electric bass. After a brief review of Bass I material, students continue developing familiarity with more of the fingerboard, developing solid technique up through the 7th position/9th fret. Students continue working from the Simandl book and from the instructor’s study material. Students are introduced to important rhythmic concepts, working with the underlying triplet feel (in swing-oriented music) and rhythmic anticipation. Students are also introduced to basic techniques for constructing their own bass lines on blues, rhythm changes, jazz standards, and for soloing on chord progressions.

Prerequisites: Bass I or equivalent. Students must know how to read bass clef notation and be familiar with the fingerboard up through the 5th fret/2nd position.

WINTER: 1/7 – 3/18 (10 weeks)
    Mondays 8:15 – 9:45 pm
    Glenn Richman $365
    Register

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021