1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazzy blues play-along

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Intenzity, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Can't have too many ways to practice blues, neither.

So here is a chord-enhanced blues progression at two different tempos (120 and 200 bpm) for your enjoyment. Also, a brief discussion of your friend, the tri-tone sub.

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    The points you make about the so-called "Tritone Sub" are good. However, I believe the Root is the most important followed by the the interval of the third and seventh -- in the case of a Dominant Seventh chord, it is the interval of a Diminished Fifth.

Furthermore, to be 'more' correct, in the key of Bb, the chord labeled "Tritone Sub" would actually be an Fb7. The name "Fb" indicates a descending movement. In this case, Fb > Eb.

Dominant Sounding "Tritone Subs" do not resolve like traditional Dominant chords - as explained by the lesson link.

The explanation of the SOUND being the same between the two Diminished Fifth intervals - within a Bb7 and Fb7 - is correct.

One might also "alter" the Tritone Sub. Using the above example, use this chord: Fb7-5 (Fb, Ab, Cbb, Ebb). Notice that the altered fifth of this chord is an enharmonic spelling of the root of the ORIGINAL chord - Bb.

These are minor points, but can help in understanding the concept of "Tritone Sub".

3. NorthArchRising

NorthArchRising

Mar 27, 2011
    London
    really great blog, just one thing i noticed was that most jazz/blues progressions i've ever played through with a group make the II chord always a minor to bring the more 'jazz' sounding II V turn around, i noticed that all the C chords were C7's instead of Cm7. not that your wrong just a common variation and a lot of students use the 'maiden voygae' play along books and the blues in that uses the m7 II

great work and really sleek looking website

4. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Yea, I took this particular progression from Jeff Berlin's chord tone book, so he may have used the dominant chords to allow for more unique chord tones to play over, perhaps. He uses this progression for a chord tone exercise and it does make for a good workout.

I think I will do more of these, so I will do a jazzy blues with more common chords too, the stuff that everyone would probably see on a gig.

Thanks for the props on the blog! Blogger makes it easy.

5. NorthArchRising

NorthArchRising

Mar 27, 2011
    London
    ah i see, yeah makes sense, keep up the good work :)

6. jazzbill

jazzbill

Jun 4, 2010
    Richardson, TX
    One reason that either chord works here is that the iim7 is part of a ii=V=I diatonic to the key while the II7 works as a sub-dominant of the V7 chord.

7. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    good site - thanks for passing along this resource!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021