1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JBL DF130 Vs. DF140

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thobbinghotrod, Mar 28, 2009.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1!!!
    IME nothing, then or now, compares to the TONE of a JBL K140. in my Vox 2-15 super beatle cab, i first tried two new Eminence neo Kappalite 3015's. the 3015's definitely handled more power, but didn't come close to the fullness and smoothness of the K140's tonewise. they sounded a bit harsh and cloudy by comparison. and i never liked Altec 15's for bass as they were way to midrangey and 'honky' to me (sounded like a magaphone). the only EV that i like is the EVM15L in a TL606 cab, but i still prefer K140's over them too.

the E series JBL's are okay, but IMO don't sound as nice as the Alnico D and K series.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I think I have one of those sheets you used to get whenever you bought a new JBL, and I believe it talked about cab size and porting on it. I'll see if I can find it just for grins.

3. I never played the "K" series but could not dump my D140's fast enough. Sure the low end was "mellow" but they were uncomfortably slow to react, I had to play ahead of them to be on time and in a three piece, the fills I would do to keep the sound full was lost waiting for the cones to do something. Sorry not a glowing review but different people have different needs?

4. I'm looking for the d-130 for the guitar player. We retired the Showman because we were hauling it into too many bars and it just wasn't right to do that to it. I think what's missing in his sound now is cone cry. But I'm only guessing so I'll describe what used to be our sound.>>>

The speakers sounded like they were at their limit, almost to the point that you could hear them not keeping up with the amp. Add to that a high pitched cat singing in tune when he soloed.( is that cone cry? ) I plugged the Showman into my 4 10's one time and got a perfectly clean tone with no breakup at all, so I know the d130's were the cause of this crazy tone. If I can't get a d130 at a decent price, what other speakers sound like this for guitar?

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the D130F's were the faster responding one. they had less xmax and were much more efficient (and IMO are still very efficient by today's standards). and the same goes for the K series.

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd try a K130. i've seen them often sell for around $100- $150 which is less than the D series.

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Obviously you took my post personally, mea culpa if I hit a nerve. It certainly wasn’t my intent to insult the DIY community!

I do take umbrage at having my comments misrepresented however, for example;
    Specifically what “things without hearing them” did I make assumptions about? I intentionally didn’t reference any particular product other than a late 60’s Kustom 100 series cabinet. Also, could you stereotype these "poor souls" that I "stereotyped" in my post, and specify which rigs they use (concentrating on the rigs that you know that I haven't heard)?
    Hmmm, that isn’t at all what I posted is it? Actually, my vague inference was that WinISD can make any “wanna be” with a computer a pseudo cabinet designer. A little harsh perhaps, but I fail to see how my words could be interpreted as an insinuation that WinISD causes people to run out and buy a flat responding, distortion free rig.
    Glad to give you a chuckle! "Seinfeld" sound is exactly what I posted; a “sound”. What instrument initially generated that “sound” is irrelevant to the context of the post.

I see by your signature that you are a WinISD aficionado. I like it also; I run scenarios with WinISD regularly. Best of luck with your projects, maybe you could start a company manufacturing your designs and come up with the “must have” bass cab for the new millennium.
    I’ll even buy one! ;)

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I bought a pair of JBL LE 15s and used them for bass fo a while. I put them in sealed cabinets of about 2.5 cu ft. to JBLs recommendations. Lots of warm bottom but no top. They had a rubber surround. I think the "LE" meant Linear Efficiency.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    edbass,

You wasted way too much time there on point by point and again assumed what I must have felt or thought. And way before I was using WinISD I was doing it the old sucky way with tons of calculations on paper - and way less useful data coming back at me. But the tool has little to do with the drivers or their tonal profiles.

10. I have a D130F and what I think a D130 with a K recone for sale, $300 for the pair plus shipping. I'm located in Massachsettes. Let me know if you are interested.