1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin asks - What Is Taught Without Only Teaching the Facts!

Discussion in 'Ask Jeff Berlin [Closed]' started by JeffBerlin, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just what truly is time anyways!? :rolleyes:

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  2. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Amazing how people want to express their opinions. But, I feel that it is deeper than that. I am pretty much alone and entirely contrary to how practically all bass players and practically all bass teachers think. This alone has to provoke some people into commenting and explaining their thoughts. The problem is that few thoughts translates into playing reality. They mostly are suppositions. What I try to communicate, isn't.

Lownote38 and Whousedtoplay like this.
  3. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Metronome vs no metronome is very interesting, but I am more interested to get a few pointers on important stuff. Guess I'll need to pay for Jeff's lessons to get that-- which I am sure are well worth the price. I did recently enjoy/benefit from a vid I saw on Youtube (I think) from Jeff (at his Fla. academy) about how to use diminished chord tones in a manner that doesn't sound so stereotypically diminished-y ( e.g., a consecutive run of minor thirds). Jeff's got a LOT of very worthwhile knowledge, I don't get everyone's obsession with the metronome thing (and I sometimes use one, for specific objectives). I'd listen intently to anything Jeff wanted to say.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  4. I would dispute this. I’ve studied for various periods with six different bass instructors, knee-to-knee, and they all espoused an approach similar to yours. However, most had formal training themselves, just as you did.

5. I think a lot of the books I studied from 25+ years ago told me to do exactly that (tap my foot). Isn’t up to me to know and remember where “one” is, vs. using a metronome which tells me where it’s at?

6. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    @JeffBerlin I'm looking at you book A Comprehensive Chord Tone System for Mastering the Bass.

Should I play these chord arpeggios in all keys?

(What about the tab? Should I follow the fingerings on the tabs or just play at whatever position feels reasonable?) Edit: Reading just a bit further I got the point.

7. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    @JeffBerlin's thesis, that you learn bass,.From playing music, after 19 pages in this thread, that was the way I was taught, just about every book I use has music, my junior high orchestra teacher used this approach in the mid sixties. I guess , I've been using your method off and on for over 50 years

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.