1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jeff Berlin - Comprehensive Chord Tone System Audio

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by alfoders, Mar 28, 2013.

1. alfoders

alfoders

Nov 14, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I downloaded a copy of "Jeff Berlin - A Comprehensive Chord Tone System for Mastering the Bass 1987" - long out of print. :atoz:

I've been playing the exercises as part of my daily practice routine. It is most helpful! I recommend it highly and would buy a copy in a heartbeat if available.

The text came with an audio cassette. Does anyone have a copy of the audio in mp3 or other downloadable format?

Thanks in advance!

Al in Orlando

2. Follow1

Follow1

Apr 10, 2011
    bump

3. porteous

porteous

Mar 24, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    You live reasonably close to Clearwater... Maybe you can take a class at his school and get it from him directly!

4. Berlin has posted many lessons on YouTube. They're all based on his chord tone book. I downloaded these videos for reference to use in company with the book. Or you can convert them yourself to mp3 using online converters.

5. alfoders

alfoders

Nov 14, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Great idea, but my instructor (who studied under Jeff Berlin and Dave LaRue) is currently getting me ready for the the Players School's "One Week Intensive Study" class due to start at the end of August or early in September. The class isn't cheap ($900), and I'm not ready for it yet - only been taking lessons since November. My teacher says it should kick me up a couple of notches, however.

Hmmmm...I'd still like to know what was on that "mystery" cassette! Meanwhile, I'll just keep pounding out those chord tone exercises. They're GREAT! Left hand is getting stronger and my knowledge of the chords is becoming more and more of a "reflex" rather than a "thought" - I believe that is called "muscle memory"!

Al in Orlando

6. Minus

Minus

May 22, 2011
    If I remember correctly, the cassette is nothing more than Jeff demonstrating each exercise and how he suggests playing them through the cycle. The cool part was hearing him play the CT solo that's at the end of the book. I think it's called "In Search of the Lost Chord Tone".

On a side note Jeff would tell you that you don't have to ready to come to the PSM. He'll take you right where you're at go from there. The 1-week is a good event, have fun.

7. alfoders

alfoders

Nov 14, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for this information. I seem to remember seeing a YouTube video "In Search of the Lost Chord" in Jeff's collection. I will search for it again.

As far as being "ready" for the PSM's One Week Intensive Study course goes, 900 clams is big dough for me, and I don't want to spend that kind money learning chords, scales, arpeggios and basic theory and technique which I can pick up from my current professional bass teacher (or free online). It's sort of like going to Picasso to learn how to do "painting-by-numbers".

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't blame you for wanting to get prepared for Jeff because I believe the exact same thing as you...$900 for a beginner to go to Jeff's school for a week is overkill for a beginner. But I've heard of beginners going there and extremely boosting their knowledge and skills, so it's not entirely a waste of money. Still, nothing wrong with taking lessons in the meantime. And Jeff would probably be less averse to running you off a free copy of the tape since you're a customer. I'd call and ask to buy one and let them know you're coming in August, and maybe you can schnor a free copy ;)

9. MikeyTheFinger

MikeyTheFinger

Sep 8, 2012
    Just my thoughts after attending his One Week course.

$900 is too much to pay for a week of learning scales, notes, arpeggios, etc. You can learn that from a book, or video.

But that's not what you're really going there for. Your going there to learn 'how to learn'.
    He will demonstrate that you can actually learn all of these 'difficult' concepts with a little guidance, a little encouragement, and a little work on your part.

He has no magic, just solid instruction from a world-class player.

10. alfoders

alfoders

Nov 14, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Well stated, mate! The primary purpose of education should be teaching you HOW to learn!

11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    His Youtube channel has a lot of good exercises to get ready.
    BTW, I have the original book and tape. He plays through the exercises and then briefly explains how to play the Slap intro to "5G" and credits Billy Dickens for a lot of the techniques.

12. Here's my 2 cents:
    There's only so much you can learn in a week, no matter how good the instructor is. I haven't been to Jeff's thing, but I've been to the Aebersold camp, another week-long jazz camp, and several one-day workshops. To me, the most valuable were the ones that left me feeling inspired to practice more. It's true that you don't need to spend 900 bucks to hear someone say "play all the inversions of all the chord types in every key". But, you may get a little nugget that makes you WANT to put in the time to do that.

13. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Yup....

All the info is out there.I take lessons because of the social pressure to show up prepared.Like a personal trainer.

BTW Jeff is available VIA Skype for 75 a full hour.

14. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    WHere did you find this at?

15. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  16. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well stated. I am a very experienced player, and I attended this a year ago. It was an eye opening experience, and well worth the money. I learned so much in that week that I am still applying and refining today. I had to unlearn some bad habits. The one week intensive made me change the way that I approach everything, and it has made me a much better player. It takes time, effort, work, and an open mind, but in the end it is up to you to apply everything, improve incrementally every day, and to stick with it. My review of my week is here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f22/my-experience-one-week-intensive-players-school-music-878396/