Jeff Berlin fired by Frank Zappa

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by holytiamat777, Jun 3, 2008.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    ;)

2. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Where we're we.......... ?

Oh yes! Jeff Berlin being absent from this forum, I haven't been around here properly in the last few years, howcome he left? Can anyone longstory-short it for me? :)

3. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    Michael Earnhardt said, “Why were you banned from Talkbass ? Because you told the truth ? You must have really hit some nerves for them to do that ! ( Way to go, Jeff---Keep spreading the word no matter who gets upset !)”

Jeff answered: I earned my ban because of my own bad choice of words. Talkbass is monitored by people who agreed with the members who were making things personal, and they allowed them to have at me in all kinds of personal ways. Fool that I was, I shot back in kind and got banned for it. I accept this! But some guys over there just talk the talk and don't have the musical experience to know that what they subscribe to in regards to music education doesn't work. But, they think that it does.

Joe Hubbard said, “I have always found these forum trolls odd; they hide behind their screen names talking sh*t, but these same guys would never man-up in person at a clinic or a gig.”

Jeff answered: This is the function of many on Talkbass,to hide and talk. Not all of them, mind you! I met some terrific people over there. But the large percentage aren't musically aware players. They just think that they are. When I suggested ways for them to change this, they went crazy, and unfortunately, so did I. But, never again!

Jason Marsh said, “There's a recent thread on a UK forum "Any really famous guys spotted etc"...I'll answer for them, NO!! because you trolls f***ed it up!!”

Jeff answered: Totally true! I know for a fact that some top names (and I mean as high as you can imagine) have told me that they wouldn't ever chat on the internet out of fear of the comments from some Talkbass members. They remember the days when I was involved and they kept asking me to leave the site. But, I wanted to see it through to the end. The problem with the Talkbass guys and their attitude is that they have stopped other world famous musicians from joining the chat after they saw how they acted when I was there. This is true, and if I told you the names of the guys who were considering going there, some would be amazed.

Dann glenn said, “You know sometimes I just get SO pissed off seeing this stuff Jase. I swear to god Jeff just blows it off. Really! It drives me nuts. He talks me down sometimes and we move on. I think Jeff sees it more for what it really is, thus giving it little or/no credence. I just let it as you Brits say, "wind me up."

Jeff anwered: Dann and I are guys who don’t pull punches. I’m still practicing communicating my thoughts with a little bit of sweet sauce, but Dann is a Viet Nam vet, an ex. cop and a guy you do NOT want to mess with in an alley. His lifestyle is hard to totally shut off once you've gotten your civvies back on. In my case, I’ve been to a lot of therapy and have learned (more or less) to consider the source of those who made statements as truth. The fact is, the internet has made every little twit with a guitar an expert in his opinion and I am here to state publically that this is false. So does Dann Glenn.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/121530-jeff-berlin-banned-from-talkbass-shock/

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    +1000000000000000000

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    OMG, Jeff Frickin hates us. I hope you are all happy... :eek:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Robert Fripp chose Tony Levin over Jeff Berlin for King Crimson (Bruford recommended Jeff) because Fripp felt Berlin was too busy a player.

7. That's interesting, I'd never heard about that before. I wonder how KC would have sounded. Plus it would have been an interesting meeting of personalities with Fripp.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    How many of you all have been on a search committee? In my line of work, there are always lots of qualified people for any position. Name any great bassist, and he or she will be better for some jobs than others.

9. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    There's a jazz version of YYZ with Neil Peart a bunch of reed players and JB on bass. What JB plays is technically incredible but the version of the song is awful. Just goes to show.

10. GigJones

GigJones

Jun 10, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Isn’t that weird? I just watched the clip you mentioned. Here it is…

11. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I actually don't think Jeff sounds all that great on that clip.

12. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    At 0:34: "we were the first three-bass band to come along..." Well, maybe. BX3 was in 2006, right?

I remember seeing Super Bass at Scullers with Ray Brown, Christian McBride, and John Clayton in 1996. If that doesn't count as a band then I'll eat my hat.

13. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    Anybody click this link? Are we fueding with this basschat, or what? Lots of TB hate over there. Seems like just a copy of this place, only with a 8th of the members.

14. Yeah, I read a lot of the nasty comments directed at TB / TB members...

Oh well. :D

15. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I dunno about this, I haven't noticed these problems with TB's other "Ask A Pro" forums besides Jeff or Dann's. I mean there are always dumb noob gear questions in the Michael Manring/ Steve Lawson, Justin Meldal-Johnsen, Janek Gwizdala et al forums but otherwise I think the of conversation/respect there is pretty high.

If you ask intelligent questions, all the current pros on TB are tremendously happy to address the more intangible aspects of creativity, artistry, career pathways, developing a personal voice, etc.

IMO Jeff and Dann's forums got a little confrontational because they reflected their own personalities. I think Jeff's provocative black/white pronouncements were better suited to magazine columns than the internet.

16. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I think what it "just goes to show" is that opinions are like... well, you know the old axiom.

17. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Not to mention that YYZ is not a song since, by definition, songs are sung. But the proper language of music isn't really relevant anymore, is it?

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    But they were transcriptions that Frank had not been able to get anyone to do. Steve sent in the transcription that made Zappa hire him to start transcribing all his material and along with the paper was two versions of Vai playing the Black Page, the second of which was in double time.
    Zappa said of the 17 year old that he thought he was listening to a player in his upper 20's or probably 30's due to the maturity of the playing.

19. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/r6cplMM3d_Q
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xx1RguHA4XE
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/8sfu1WrNjB4

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021