Jeff Berlin fired by Frank Zappa

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by holytiamat777, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This is a good observation. If only you could go back and read the threads but you can't because both Jeff and Dann deleted the posts from their forums or requested they be deleted.

2. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Frank wouldn't be the only talented musician to be fired from a project. I read a few articles where Marcus Miller and Leeland Sklar told stories of how they lost gigs. Sometimes its simply a matter of "style and fit or maybe... personality" for the project. We all know these guys can play.

3. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    If you ever read the "Real Frank Zappa Book" theres a chapter where he discusses this major project involving a Dutch Orchestra and basically after about a year of trying to organize rehearsals and salaries and sponsorships, Vinnie Colaiuta and Jeff Berlin basically ruined the whole thing by secretly planning to collect more money than the rest of the band from the management, behind Frank's back. Frank himself was in part funding the event and was getting no payment other than royalties from the eventual recording. Frank was outraged that they did this and canceled the whole thing so that no musicians were treated unfairly. In the end he paid 125,000$ (1970 or 80s) for nothing

Akami likes this.
  4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Right, this is what I read too.
    I seriously doubt that Frank would've fired them just for asking for more money, I believe it was more likely because they underhandedly went behind Frank's back. Of course I don't believe Frank would've given them the raise that they seeked either.

vinnydbass likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Would've sounded like this: King Crimson, 6 January 1981, 1981

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I will say this much, I had the opportunity to hang with Jeff Berlin last fall when he was on tour here with Oz Noy and Dennis Chambers. He has mellowed quite a bit from his absolutists days. He is a perfectionist, and a wonderfully skilled player, no doubt.

India_Sierra and jerry like this.
  7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That must have been a killer show, I love Noy's trios.

The Owl and burk48237 like this.
  8. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Jeff has played with so many amazing guitarists I'm surprised he never got together with Yngwie Malmsteen (to my knowledge) since Malmsteen let his admiration and desire to play with Jeff be known.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It was actually a quartet with David Sancious on Keys. The band KILLED!

Joshua, Bob_Ross and jerry like this.
  10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Even better! Back in the day I would see Sancious's trio Tone, and they were scary good too.

The Owl, Joshua and Passinwind like this.
  11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    There are probably people born after this thread started getting their first bass recently.

Hammerfield, burk48237 and jerry like this.
  12. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    And Ronnie Cuber for a while, too. Zappa was a fortunate man, working with musicians of that caliber. In a perfect world...

Oops. Did I just reply to a post that was more than ten years old?

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    jerry likes this.
  13. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    semi-thread-drift-but-not-quite-since-it's-germane-to-subject: Have you heard this tune?

from David Sancious' Just As I Thought album...with Jeff Berlin on bass.

jerry likes this.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I saw him play a show around '80 with Jack Bruce, Billy Cobham, and Clem Clempson. They were the opening band for the ABB and not even on the bill, which was a nice surprise.

jerry and Bob_Ross like this.
  15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I have that album, I always dug Sancious's guitar playing/tone too. Very overlooked in fusion guitar history.

Passinwind and Bob_Ross like this.
  16. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    +1. He totally kills it on Stanley Clarke's Journey To Love album ...even when nestled between tracks featuring Jeff Beck or John McLaughlin!

Passinwind and jerry like this.
  17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Yes, the sometimes overused term molten really applies to Concerto For A Jazz/Rock Orchestra. One of the definitive jazz/rock songs. IMHO of course.:D

Bob_Ross likes this.
  18. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Hoover said:
    I also saw the 1974 tour at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ with Chester Thompson, Tom Fowler, Ruth Underwood, George Duke, and Napoleon Murphy Brock. Wow. Just freakin' wow.

I'm a huge Zappa fan. Saw most NYC/NJ shows '70 through '78 or so.
    Once saw a show around '74 at the Capital Theater in Passaic, NJ that was performed in QUAD (sat by the mixing board having chatted with the sound man Steve Desper outside before the show) and during the encore the music was swirling around the theater. Very impressive. Do you recall if this was the show you saw? Frank played there quite a few times but this was particularly memorable because of the QUAD sound and the ROXY line-up.

19. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    thunes.jpg The sometimes irascible yet also warm and cuddly and very decent Mr. Scott Thunes in my apartment in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn around 1985.

Joshua likes this.
  20. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama

What is that thing on his head?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021