Jimmy Haslip

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by currentbuzz, Mar 5, 2006.

1. currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    I believe that this is one of the best, however i want to know your ideas about this bassist as im studying his work right now since i dont see his name on these threads i opened up one.
  2. bobe

Dec 26, 2005
    awesome player and really nice guy.

Check out the project I-Ching w/Robben Ford and Vinny C on drums.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm a long time fan! Jimmy has his own voice on fretless, not a easy feat.
  4. currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    are you talkin about Jing Chi? well if you are talkin about it and your a Jazz fan expect not much cause its a blues kind of feel but if you are a fan you must have a copy.

i really dig alot of haslip for the moment his strong melodic accents, and tremendous speed(with grace) really blows me off try to grab a copy of Yellojackets with these albums... Blue Hats, Club Nocturne, Dreamland, Run for your Life, Like a River. those are killers!!
  5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He's an amazing player. Very underrated, but totally mindblowing!
  6. Bassmonk3y

Sep 19, 2005
    Tacoma, Wa
    Jimmy Haslip is the frikken man..He's an expressive unique voice on bass, has tonnes of soul, and best of all, the man plays left- handed bass with right-handed string configuration, in other words his strings are inverted or upside-down when compared to traditional players!:eek: That may sound really kooky, but as a bassist who plays in the same way as him (albeit with just a straight-up right handed bass played lefty.. no custom jobs for me :p), his presence as a respected and renouned bassist is encouraging to say the least!

Long live jimmy haslip and inverted bassists! :cool:
  7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've met him twice, talked to him a little, and have his autograph. He is a great guy and an incredible player. Check my web site for a pic of Jimmy and myself. He has solo CD's, is a founding member of the Yellowjackets, does studio work, etc.

Here's a short story for you about the kind of guy he is.

I live in the boonies and rarely get to see any good live music. This past summer, the Jackets were playing in Minneapolis, MN. A few days before the gig I emailed Jimmy and told him we'd (my wife and a few friends) be making the 350 mile trip (one way) to see them. I asked if it was at all possible if they could play a favorite of mine from Mint Jam - Motet. He said he'd see what he could do. It was a beautiful night for an outdoor gig. We were pumped. They started the 3rd tune and...you guessed it, Motet. It was freakin' awesome. Jimmy played about 10 minutes of one of the best solo's I've heard. I couldn't help but think it was for us. After the show, they always stay around and meet fans, sign CD's, etc. When it was my turn I introduced myself and my wife and he said you're the guy who drove 350 miles to hear us. We played Motet for you too. I told him it was fantastic and I really appreciated it. He posed for a couple pics and we were on our way.

I have the deepest respect for him not only as a musician, but as a human being.
  8. a great player, just today I was listening to Gino Vanelli's "Brother to brother" it has an amazing solo by Mr. Haslip!!!
  9. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA

Although I never thought of calling myself an "inverted bassist" but I guess I am. :D
  10. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    He also did some fine work with the criminally underrated Tommy Bolin back in the day too...
  11. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I just got a disc of the Holdsworth-Pasqua gig in socal from a week or so ago, with Jimmy on bass, Chad Wackerman on Drums, doing Tony Williams Lifetime stuff with the two Allans.

12. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I saw him in a small club in Milwaukee with the Yellowjackets and it was a religious experience. He's is really amazing, great tone and beautiful note selection. I also saw him with Chaka Khan a long time ago and he can groove with the best of them.
  13. Bodin

Mar 1, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I was listening to "Like A River" as I saw this thread. What an amazing soloist - so lyrical. His solo on "Man Facing North" blows me away every time I hear it.
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Man! That must have been great! Is that disc available?
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This guy has amazing tone and phrasing. He's one of the few people capable of bringing out the organic, acoustic properties of an electric bass.
  16. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    It showed up on the dime a dozen torrent site, which is now closed to new members. email me for B&P if you want.
  17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Terrific musician. One of my very favorite players.
  18. currentbuzz

Mar 4, 2006
    Guys do you know any links that i can see jimmy or you know any title he has out in the market regarding his videos or yellowjackets coz i havent seen this guy yet and i would definitly want to see him just even on videos coz im currently at the middle east and it would be very impossible to see him live at the moment

but i really need to see him badly, just heard him play and im very much intrigued on how he looked like playin bass invertedly so please PM me and send links or info regarding the jazz man. thanks :help:
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yellowjackets on video-
    Maybe I'm losing it...I seem to recall seeing Live Wires on the tube years back. Can't recall the network & of course, I didn't tape it.
    Back when MTV & VH-1 were worth a ****, you could count on seeing Haslip & the Yellowjackets backing up Take 6 on "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" during the Xmas video season.
  20. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    I continually listen to Jing Chi for inspiration and well, to be put in my place. His phrasing, his tone, wow.