1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JMJ Mustang Bass String Recommendations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MGBassist98, Dec 17, 2019.

1. MGBassist98

MGBassist98

Dec 17, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I got my dream bass, the Fender JMJ mustang in September and have been on a string hunt for a while now, searching for the perfect set of flats to make this bass really shine.
    JMJ himself swears by the medium scale chromes, however I can't find them anywhere online. (even on D'addario's website). These seem like they would be the perfect option.

Would the Long Scale chromes work? The bass is strung through the body.

Right now I have a set of DR short scale flat wounds, which feel great but I'm sort of underwhelmed by the way they sound.

Basically, I'm asking any of you Mustang/Short Scale/Flat wound fans for your recommendations.

Thanks!

2. Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Congrats on picking up an excellent bass! I bought one a couple of months ago and really really like it. It's a keeper for sure.

Labella make a set specifically for the Mustang bass. I was eager to try them when I first got my JMJ, but after playing it for a few evenings I found the stock strings actually sound pretty good.

WillyWonka likes this.
  4. Those are the Fender 9050L, aren't they? The only awkward thing about them is they only come in "long scale" (= 37.1" winding length).

FranF likes this.
  5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    No idea. They have a greenish silk on them, and it looks like the E string is definitely too long, as it's wound well past the silk onto the tuning peg.

The way that bass sounds right now, I can't think of a good reason to replace those strings with anything else. But if I ever change my mind, I'm going to try the Labella Mustang set first.

6. I use the Medium scale chromes, love them
    F48E1548-8BCA-4A70-89CF-5961F51AFF8E.jpeg

WillyWonka and NKBassman like this.
  7. Sorry, but my OCD kicked in when I saw the pic. ;)

Chromes Medium Scale on Mustang.jpeg

8. LOL, Thank You

michael_t likes this.
  9. Med scale Chromes on my Mustang for a cuppla yrs. They work great.
    (Old pic, don't think they're Chromes on here)
    20151217_110623_zpswywczbkh.jpg

tindrum and bhendrix like this.
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    JMJ might light Chromes, and Fender may adapt their flats, but the best set of strings for a string-through-body Mustang is the La Bella flatwound set made for the instrument, the 760F-MUS: consistent, neutral good tone, good sustain, not too expensive, lasts forever without fading to lifeless thump like Chromes do.

11. Stagelab

Stagelab

Dec 26, 2015
    Brooklyn, NY
    My JMJ has stock strings on it. The E is a bit floppier than I’d like. Are the medium scale Chromes or Labellas going to tighten it up a little? Would I need to raise the action? I tend to have trouble playing fast on the JMj because of the looser tension.

Thrupnibits likes this.
  12. Thrupnibits

Thrupnibits

Nov 8, 2020
    Pity there wasn't a response to your post as I am finding this too. I love the stock Fender strings (tone, feel, ease of play) but the E is too loose for me. Think I'll try the La Bella 760FL-MUS bass strings :thumbsup:

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Labella 760F-MUS, huge upgrade over stock IMO.

WillyWonka likes this.
  14. Thrupnibits

Thrupnibits

Nov 8, 2020
    Cheers pickles,

Yep, I actually ordered a set last night and another thread JMJ himself recommended the 760F-MUS too.

WillyWonka likes this.
  15. So thought I would try out a few different sets and see how they fit and generally how they feel. I know the feel part is personal subjective.
    The strings I am going to try out 1. Labella LTF's 2. Rotosound RS-77M 3. Labella Mustang flats. 4. Labella Beatle Bass Flats. 5. Daddario nickle roundwounds 6. Stringjoy Nickle roundwounds. Will post as I get them and try them out

Thrupnibits likes this.
  16. Labelle Lo tension Flats Medium scale, Really like these strings, they fit, feel good..not to floppy, not to stiff. nice balanced sound. Only drawback is they are hard to find. The numbers written on the package is the numbers I came up with for ideal string length
    MustLTF1.JPG MustLTF1.JPG MustLTF2.JPG

Thrupnibits and WillyWonka like this.
  17. Rotosound RS-77m, These strings didn't really work for me. The E string was a bit to long, string wrapped about a quarter way around the post after silk ran out. Feel was a bit looser than the Labella LTF's. String gauge is lighter though. The thing I didnt care for was the E string was just sonically out of balance with the other strings for MY taste.. Measuring strings RS 77s may fit right would be close
    roto3.JPG roto2.JPG roto1.JPG

Thrupnibits and WillyWonka like this.
  18. WillyWonka

WillyWonka "zero" fret Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I’m liking the medium scale 77s, the E does wrap past the silk but it’s a 90 so it’s the same diameter as the silk.

the stock strings were ok, but I have had these rotos sitting in a drawer for years and I wanted to try them.

I may try the Labella 760F-MUS in 30-40 years when I change strings again.

75875858-17CB-4725-93F3-1962E7BC3306.jpeg

Thrupnibits and Kev1955 like this.
  19. Thrupnibits

Thrupnibits

Nov 8, 2020
    My 760F-MUS have arrived and tempting though it is to hang fire until you let us know how you liked them, I think I'm just gonna take a punt and try them anyway :)

WillyWonka and Kev1955 like this.
  20. Thrupnibits

Thrupnibits

Nov 8, 2020
    I put the La Bella 70F-MUS strings on tonight and straight away the bass sounded much more 'right'. The intonation was noticably better and they seem to hold perfect tune too, something the Fenders struggled with at times. I didn't hate the Fenders that it came with but I consider the La Bella's an upgrade.

Incredible how different the guitar feels now though. I cant make up my mind whether the strings feel higher tension or lower. They just look and feel like smooth cables, whereas the Fenders were more 'round' flats.

For now, I like 'em, but I'll see how they feel in 30/40 years :)

pickles and WillyWonka like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021