1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JMJ Mustang Bass String Recommendations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MGBassist98, Dec 17, 2019.

1. MGBassist98

MGBassist98

Dec 17, 2019
    Hi everyone!

I got my dream bass, the Fender JMJ mustang in September and have been on a string hunt for a while now, searching for the perfect set of flats to make this bass really shine.
    JMJ himself swears by the medium scale chromes, however I can't find them anywhere online. (even on D'addario's website). These seem like they would be the perfect option.

Would the Long Scale chromes work? The bass is strung through the body.

Right now I have a set of DR short scale flat wounds, which feel great but I'm sort of underwhelmed by the way they sound.

Basically, I'm asking any of you Mustang/Short Scale/Flat wound fans for your recommendations.

Thanks!

2. Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Congrats on picking up an excellent bass! I bought one a couple of months ago and really really like it. It's a keeper for sure.

Labella make a set specifically for the Mustang bass. I was eager to try them when I first got my JMJ, but after playing it for a few evenings I found the stock strings actually sound pretty good.

4. Those are the Fender 9050L, aren't they? The only awkward thing about them is they only come in "long scale" (= 37.1" winding length).

5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    No idea. They have a greenish silk on them, and it looks like the E string is definitely too long, as it's wound well past the silk onto the tuning peg.

The way that bass sounds right now, I can't think of a good reason to replace those strings with anything else. But if I ever change my mind, I'm going to try the Labella Mustang set first.