1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Job advice for a teen.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WookieeForLife, Oct 1, 2009.

1. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Right now I am working at a restaruant. I work from 3 45 till 10 30 and got $42 cash. Sounds decent right? Well, from the time I get there till I leave I am using a deli slicer. In PA you have to be older than 16 (maybe18) to run a slicer. I turn 16 in a month and a half. I work and opt'd not to take my 5 minute lunch because I had so much work. On saturdays I also work the pizza ovens, again 16 or 18, of which i am neither. I have a month and a half until my 16th. We have a supermarket near me that hires 16 year olds. My question is, When I leave for a supermarket job, should I report them for hazardous working conditions? Sorry about all grammar mistake. It's 11 00 PM here and I am beat.

2. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    For the record, a HORRIBLE boss too. Well maybe all caps was a little much, but he isn't a good one, but I put up with his shanagains to make money.

3. Yup and so will the next 15 y.o. that needs a job. Hey you gotta start somewhere bro. and props to you for having the motivation, and gumption to get out from behind the computer, or game console, and going out there to learn about the real world.

4. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    I had a boss like that back in the day.... he would break all sorts of labor laws too.... he's out of business now.
    So let me get this straight.... you are a 15 year old that worked past 10PM for less than minimum wage without a lunch break and you were operating a meat slicer. If I were your dad Id drag that guy into the middle of the road and make an example of him.

5. Jobs are not good now for teenagers.

6. If you continue to do the work without reporting it you're just as much at fault. Especially since you just publically admitted to knowing its not legal. Report it now or you're shooting yourself in the foot bro.

7. i'm not so sure....do
    you just want to settle a score or are you really concerned.... you have to pick your battles.....the new job may want a reference from the old one,and even if you are in the right opening up a can of worms can scare away a prospective employer if you look like trouble.....

8. Yeah, unless you are honestly concerned about their practices I'd just drop it and get another job

9. I'm not telling him to go out and inform just for the heck of it. I agree with you in the fact that he has to decide if its worth it for the hassle, but he can't keep working there for however long very well knowing its illegal and THEN go rat the business out.

It would be like if you were a goon for the mob, if you help them rob a bunch of people and then go tell the cops you're still not gonna get off scott free because you told. You KNOW its wrong, so either tell or don't tell, but you can't keep doing it and THEN rat em out.

10. I should also mention to not take the words "rat" or "tell" the wrong way. Those words carry a negative meaning in a lot of circles but thats not how I'm intending them. There's nothing wrong with informing the authorities of a business that doesn't run by the legal standards that ALL business are expected too. It may be a one manned mom and pop shop for all I know, but its no excuse for not running their business by the same standards as everyone else...... except for the mob business that is :).

11. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Honesly the reason I am staying for another month is for the prized good job refrence. At times he can be a really mean guy and at times he is nice as pie. I'm the only one there under 18. I'll keep you guys posted.

12. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Never really looked at it this way. I guess your right. I probably wont report it because I am the only one there under 18. I'll just leave when I can.

13. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    I used to work on a deli counter when I was 12 years old. I lied about my age and said I was exactly a year older than I was. The company did n't check. I did n't officially use the meat slicer but I was handling cash and sharp things. I knew it was illegal but I wanted the money to buy a bass.

This was back in the 70's when you could get away with such things a bit more easily than now.

Just be careful with the sharp things.

Oh yeah. The best casual job I had when I was at school was working in a library. We were treated very well, it was a clean job and paid better than the shop work.

14. To start with, just remember to stay safe when you're using equipment like that. If you need a 5 minute break, take it, because mindlessly operating without paying attention can lead to bad, bad things.

Now...

I don't want to sound like an a-hole, but... man up. Working a deli counter and the pizza ovens isn't too bad of a gig, especially after school and on the weekends. I imagine you're probably working like 2, maybe 3 days a week? Well heck, that's about $130 a week. I'd imagine that's cash-money as well, right? Not bad.

As far as turning in the boss - why would you want to? He's giving you work, at a wage that doesn't suck, you're learning some skills that might be useful to you later on. Especially if you're working with cash and what not.

The alternative? I hear the library is just dying to hire someone to mop the floor for 8 hours a week. Now that's a transferrable job skill.

You're a dude, dude. Electric food slicers and mega-hot pizza ovens are in the "cool stuff" column, not the "OMG I'M TELLING!" column. That's the kind of job kids your age should want - not some crap supermarket job, walking around with a price gun, stocking cases of oatmeal. What the heck is cool about oatmeal?

Learn to enjoy what you do, have some fun with it - maybe your boss will even start to treat you better if he thinks you're into what you're doing.

Sincerely, the old man down the street... now GET OFF MY LAWN!

15. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Not sure if this applies to you in your state but in Illinois it is against the law for a previous employer to make negative comments in a reference call from a new employer. Id just quit and expose this D-bag for the labor laws that he violates. Too many people like that exsist and take advantage of young kids but nothing will ever fix it if people dont speak up. Yes youre going to make a couple extra bucks for another month or so but what happens if you get hurt there? Do you think this is the type of guy that has appropriate insurance for his business? No, I'd assume not. He's probably the type of guy that is cooking his books and set himself up as incorporated so he can just walk away in the event of an incident. Doesnt sound to me like its worth getting a 5 minute lunch break and less than minimum wage.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Actually, in this world, you can even be paid for it! Theyre called police informants, and they make good $$$ turning people in, or 'ratting them out'.

17. I'd be happy for -any- job right now. Can I take your old job?

18. Tama

Tama

Nov 19, 2008
    Bugtussle
    Hey Wookiee, even if you plan on college...try to get yourself a job in the "trades" for now.

You get good experiences and the pay is much better than things like retail or restaurants.

My son was pushing carts 3 years ago at Wally World.
    The job sucked and he was paid crap.
    I got him on at our fab shop. He has done great and is possibly the best sheetmetal helper I have ever worked with. And I don't say that just because he is my Son...it is absolutely TRUE !!!

Anyways, he makes 2 times what he did and got a ton of good experience which will be good on his resume' for later jobs.

Cheers, Dave

19. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    One more bad thing about the pizza shop? My buddy got fired awhile ago cuz he was sick. He actually was sick, I saw him. My coworker's dad told him (different kid) to request a day off. He did and I filled in for him. No big deal right? Wrong. The boss is still moaning about it. Homecoming is tomarro and guess who's working? I'll give you a hint, he likes wookiees. Any ways, the supermarket is better pay and i have the ability to request days I NEED off. I don't NEED a whole lot of days off. One every 6 months if that. The supermarket is also better hours. Anywho, thanks for all the responces. I honestly don't care about slicer, but mom does. Looks like the job with better hours, better pay, and a flexible schedual gets it. I will thank the guy for giving me the chance and all, but I need to do what is best for me.

20. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Sounds cool, but these people around here do not generally hire kids.