John Hollenbeck

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by tzadik, Oct 8, 2005.

1. tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Yeah, I know, he's not a bassist. But he's a killer composer and drummer. Anyone else check out his new stuff?

Dig .

It's insane and out and accessible and gorgeous and some of the most phenomenal new music I have heard. It is literally taking over my life. This music is turning me into a drooling idiot.

I think... I am in love. Oh yes.

So - Anyone else? If not, drop whatever you're doing and go buy everything he's ever recorded!!!!! Surely I am not the only one who is swooning.
  2. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I have him on a Florine Ross trio record....which is really cool
  3. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    John Hollenbeck is just a ridiculous musician. Everything I've heard him play kit on as well as all of his compositions that I've heard are amazing. His Claudia Quintet is one of the most interesting ensembles I've ever experienced.
  4. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I played with Hollenbeck on a big band tour and on an album, and in addition to all of the comments above I must say that he is one of the smartest dudes (musically speaking) I've run across. He's well-spoken and articulate, and I hope that he ends up in a teaching gig someday because, unlike some great musicians, he can express himself well to students and makes a big impact with few words.
    And the Claudia Quintet is one of those rare groups that really sounds fresh, different, and personal. Very nice.
  5. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I went to a 1 week clinic some years ago in Maine with him. For a low profile type thing there where some pretty respectable names, him, Andrew Rathbun, Tony Malaby, Rez Abassi and the great Camron Brown.
  6. tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Justin - You must be a fellow Maine Jazz Camper. I wonder if we were there at the same time. Funny. I studied with Tony and Rathbun too. Unfortunately didn't get to know Cameron Brown, but I did have masterclasses with Reid Anderson and John Hebert, which were great. :cool:
  7. Not a bassist true, but Hollenbeck is the new "Coltrane" for me. Just an insane creative output, very originial musician/composer and band leader. Claudia quintet with Drew Gress (sometimes John Hebert), Refuge Trio with Theo Bleckmann on vocals and Gary Versace on keys, a trio with Tony Malaby(Tenor Sax) and Marcus Rojas (Tuba), Large ensemble (Kermit Driscoll on bass), and the Big Band Graz. The list can go on and on...I've seen him a dozen times or so now...and he never ceases to amaze me. Last I saw him he was playing a groove/texture with a plastic bag and a heldhand
  8. I study composition with JC Sanford who plays trombone in Hollenbeck's large ensemble. I'm hoping to get a few lessons with him when I head down to the new york area.