John Paul Jones fan club?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SasquatchDude, Apr 16, 2013.

1. After doing several searches, I was surprised to find seemingly little appreciation for the man compared to other bassists from bands of that magnitude... so I figured I'd try and unite some fellow JPJ admirers.

Personally, JPJ was probably my biggest inspiration to pick up the instrument. After several stagnant years of playing guitar (more like "owning a guitar" :D), I was listening to Led Zep II when the bassline on The Lemon Song just hit me. All of sudden, I started paying attention to the low end like never before... by the time Ramble On came on, I was hooked. I just had to play that. Thanks to that epiphany, I've been the proud owner of a candy apple red American Special Jazz for almost two years.

Succinctly, what I admire about him most is his Jamerson-like ability to lay down a shipload of notes without overplaying at all. Every note fits so delicately and perfectly, whether it's a laid back folky groove or no-nonsense rock 'n roll.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If nobody beat me to the first response you can put me as #1.

3. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I love John Paul Jones
    I never bothered to learn any basslines by him though, I just listen in awe

Can I be 2? Or 3 I guess

4. gary19702

gary19702

Jan 15, 2013
    I call dibs on 3 or 4, jonsey is what got me into playing keys years ago, besides his phenomenal bass playing

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I got into a zeppelin tribute about a year and a half ago and now know about 50 Zep tunes. It has been an awesome experience learning it all, and its the most fun material I ever played.

Mantis Tobaggan and JMacBass65 like this.
  6. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I'll have a number.

There's a whole series of JPJ interviews, here's the first one:

A wealth of good info.

The Nameless and strangiato79 like this.
  7. Awesome!

(I'll be so audacious as to take #1 :ninja:)

#1 SasquatchDude
    #2 Joe Nerve
    #3 CnB77
    #4 gary19702
    #5 t77mackie
    #6 XXL
    #7 HolmeBass
    #8 BassPlayer900
    #9 Duckwater
    #10 BenBL
    #11 JoeGibb
    #12 Reprise
    #13 bThumper38
    #14 bassinplace
    #15 gjbassist
    #16 Richbass 101
    #17 Gasman
    #18 pocketgroove
    #19 audioglenn
    #20 Blargh
    #21 Basshappi
    #22 vernhillbass
    #23 Johnnywad
    #24 jnewmark
    #25 zon6c-f
    #26 Mike M.
    #27 fraublugher
    #28 -=DanAtkinson=-
    #29 Ash Jazz
    #30 Mike in Chicago
    #31 garmenteros
    #32 Trayster2
    #33 seescottrock
    #34 georgiagoodie
    #35 pedro
    #36 Lemoore-on
    #37 gregmon79
    #38 hosebass
    #39 BluesMan845
    #40 Hawkbone
    #41 JMarsh
    #42 Jbassrockboy
    #43 mcblahflooper94
    #44 bobicidal
    #45 dcarwin
    #46 davidjbass
    #47 Barkless Dog
    #48 Prezel
    #49 zcwilkes
    #50 ewe2
    #51 62Jazzbass
    #52 rodl2005
    #53 atticpenny
    #54 oerk
    #55 RedMoses
    #56 Noot
    #57 tanktones
    #58 dkelley

8. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    Hah my name is Shawn and some of my bandmates refer to me as Shawn Paul Jones (lol) when I pull of some tasty lick. Oh ya, just like mentioned before, ZepII had me loving the sound of the bass guitar and I just had to play bass guitar.
    Back in the 90's we had covered the Sound Remains the Same version of Dazed & Confused (which is like 30 minutes long), that and playing Achilles Last Stand are what I consider big time achievements.

10. I'm a huge fan too. Zep I and II were huge in me learning how to play bass, not that I could play the lines properly back then, but I did fake them and it became a part of my style. Now I am learning some Zepp tunes very closely to note-for-note: The Ocean and Fool In The Rain. JPJ is one of the greats.

11. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    JPJ is my most favorite bass player. The bass sound on What Is And What Should Never Be, Ramble On, and pretty much the whole Led Zeppelin II album is perfect. He's really influenced my bass playing recently. Can I have a number?

pbass2 likes this.
  12. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    The moment I heard Zeppelin I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and my ears were always attracted to what JPJ was doing underneath Page.

13. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Does anyone know where to get some Lemon Song transcriptions? I'm at work so I can't sit and figure out the bassline by ear, but I'd like to look at some sheet music to kind of plan my attack

14. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    JPJ an Led Zeppelin II, The second album I ever bought (off of itunes 'cause I'm a young 'un), are the main reasons I play bass today. I'll take a number.

15. Reprise

Reprise Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    This. I can't add one word to make it fit better for me.

Duckwater - you mind if I use this for my sig?

16. JoeGibb

JoeGibb

May 26, 2011
    I'll gladly take a number. While he wasn't the man who first inspired me to play bass, I do owe a lot to JPJ. Ramble On was one of the first basslines I ever learned.

Like thousands of wayward 13 year olds across the decades, Zeppelin was my gateway into music. :D

17. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    There are the album transcriptions for Led Zeppelin II offered by Alfred, with music and TAB. They are generally pretty good.

18. And we have:

HolmeBass #7
    BassPlayer900 #8
    Duckwater #9
    BenBL #10
    JoeGibb #11
    Reprise #12

FWIW, I spent a fairly extensive amount of time (and $$) chasing the LZ I & II bass tone, and I finally think I nailed it with LaBella flats. For me, the 760FL set (43-104) with a little boost in the low-mids is the ticket... both pickups fully on, gently rolling off the tone knob as necessary.

Michael4bass likes this.
  19. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    I'll look into that, thanks

20. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I would be flattered.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021