Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joining the EA club!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BIg O, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Well, my tax refund arrived today, and I thought I'd put a small portion to work. Tomorrow I pick up my new EA gear - iAmp 800 and NL210. There may be a CXL12 in the near future as well!

I've been blown away with the clean sound of EA gear since I first played it at Club Bass 2 years ago, and finally realized it is perfect for an old fart like me! I'm selling my SWR Bass 350 and Goliath III (see signature), dropping many pounds and adding many clean watts! Also selling my Alembic SF-2 - with the EA I get enough tone options built-in, with fewer knobs to twiddle. I've enjoyed the SF-2, but now it is time to simplify things!

Thanks to Dave at Club Bass for being so cool with the deal!
    :hyper: :bassist: :D

There, I just had to let someone who might appreciate this know about it!

2. Here's some EA website pics for those who have been living under a rock and don't know about this gear!

First - the iAmp 800. 800 Watts into 4 ohms, 19 lbs!

[​IMG]

The cab - NL 210, 500 watts handling, 8 ohms, 44lbs!

[​IMG]

I can't wait til tomorrow's practice session... :D

3. I have two CXL112s and love them with my WW hi power amp.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    and 1,000 watts into 2 ohms!!! :hyper:

Welcome to the club! you'll love EA gear.

I wouldn't sell the SF-2 though. That's a great piece of gear to have in your arsenal.

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congratulations! That is going to be one heck of a nice rig. Be sure to tell us how it works out for you.

Tom.

7. I am a bit reluctant to part with the SF-2, but I feel that to date I haven't got the best out of it. And I could use the cash. I'm planning to keep my FMR RNC compressor for now, although I'm going to use the new rig without it for the first couple of rehearsals and gigs to see how things go. Then I may also sell the compressor!

Thanks for the comments guys, as soon as I have time I'll give a mini review. :)

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Don't make the same mistake as Bowlus - read the manual :D

Actually there is a good primer on the tone shaping section on the EA site. It is also in all the new manuals - I am not sure if the amp your getting has the new or old manual. I can email you a .pdf of the new manual if you like

Mike Dimin

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Welcome to the club.

O.K. So who wants to show him the secret handshake? :ninja:

10. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I do, I do!

The more I play through my iAMP350 and CxL-112L, the more I want to keep the all settings flat with just the deep switch on - especially if I'm using only the neck p'up on my '78 Jazz. Nice.

11. Thanks, Mike - I am also an anal electrical engineer, and I always read the manuals! :D Not like that BOWLINGTOMFOOLERY guy. :spit:

I actually downloaded the manual from the EA site last night, and stayed up reading it - I hope that's the current one, otherwise I'd welcome the pdf file.

Only 2 more hours to go ...I'm out the door heading to Club Bass now!

12. Does it involve keeping a tight grip on your wallet?? :D ;)

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    There is a new manual - that includes the info about the tone shaping from the web site. I can email it to you tonight. Tell Dave Freeman I say "hey"

Mike

14. All I can say is.................WOW!!!

I played the EA iAMP 800 and NL210 in the store before, but I can't believe that much good clean deep rich tone could come out of a package any size - coming from this little rig it's amazing! The guys in my originals band were blown away at tonight's practice. I don't even have to do anything other than set everything flat!

Then I combined the Deep preset with Contour 2 and my BN5 sounds richer and cleaner with more bottom and punch simultaneously than anything I've ever played! It puts the Eden and SWR stuff I've been playing to shame - sorry to say this as a supporter of both of those makes in the past.

Now it's decided - I'm selling my Eden D210XLT as well and getting an EA CXL112 to finish this lightweight knockout punch. And everything fits easily in the trunk of a Honda Civic! (Well, not my 6 basses, but that's a whole other story).

WOW!!!

OK, enough.

No,
    WOW!!! :D :hyper: :bassist:

15. Oh, and PS - after 3 hours of straight playing, the case of the iAMP 800 wasn't even warm to touch. :cool:

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah, it sucks to have all that tone shaping, and then the amp sounds so good flat :p :D (Mike Dimin: Notice I said tone shaping and not EQ)

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Big O,

I noticed the same thing about my iAMP; it doesn't get hot at all, ever. Thus, I had no problem with placing it ino a 2 space rack.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    When the iAMP was originally being tested, it was used at a 4 hour bar gig running two Epi 2x12's. The amp never got over 117 degrees farenheit - even after 4 hours and a considerable load on the amp - Class D is a wonderful thing!

Big O,
    I am glad you're digging the amp. I love that particlar combination. The NL-210 is just the greatest cab I have ever played. I have run it off both the 800 and 200. The 112 and the 210 together, run off the 800 is mind blowing. I just don't get enough really loud gigs to warrant that set up.

I have asked EA for a signature amp - one where the tone shaping is left out - as I just run it flat as well - they laughed at me (and so they should have) :p

Mike

19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Congrats Big-O! I am contemplating the same. Since I just received my first F bass (gorgeous quilt Maple top/caramelburst), I am searching for the best amplifier to mate it with. The EA looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm using an Ashdown ABM500 with decent results, but the EA iAMP800 is very very tempting. The performance of the highly regarded NL210 and Cxl112 cabinets are also very intriguing. Just wish I could find some locally to check out.

I play both reasonably quiet, jazz/blue/funky stuff in one band where a smaller cab like the NL210 or Cxl 112 would be fine. But I also play in a louder Rock band where my Bergantino HT322 is sometimes pushed to the limit.

Has anyone ever compared the EAiAMP800 to an Ashdown ABM500 EVO? Realize they are different beasts, but similar power. Would love to hear any opinions. Thanks!

20. A used CX-112 is on the way, Dave at Club Bass is fitting it with a new model driver and horn. .....I will be complEAt! :cool: