Jojo Garza (Los Loney Boys)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 11, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I caught Los Loney Boys on Austin last night. (recorded it while I was out actually) I really dig his playing. He can play busy when he needs to but also knows when to be tasteful. I like how he mixes a latin flavor into a more bluesy/funky style.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I caught them playing for a Farm Aid benefit that I ran accross last week. I was really impressed with his playing and tone. I am definitely interested in hearing more of those guys!
  3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I saw it. I thought they were OK though a bit typical. The SRV influence was obvious but at least it did have a little of their own flavor. It's not something I would want to hear again. They really should have left that accapella thing off. That was just awful.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    We open gigs for Willie Nelson out here every year, and for the last two he has been bringing out Los Lonely Boys......last year we had to follow them.......scary!!! I thought they where great!!!! Great showmen!!!
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Caught them at a club here in Beaumont awhile back. They put on a great show.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I caught them, put on a good show.
    A for JoJo's playing. what caught my eye
    was he played a six-string bass, but never realy
    use B or C string at all.
  7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I just saw them (LLB) a couple of hrs ago live, and he was all over the B and C. In fact he played some wicked lines way down low. I was impressed not only by their playing, singing, and showmanship, but by truely getting their msg. across. Which IMHO is that they are totally ejoying performing together. The thrill of their youth and the limited succes they have enjoyed thus far, shines brightly on their faces!! I wish them nothing but further success in the future!!!
  8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I love the bass and all, but I think LLB is all about that dude wailing on the guit*r - pretty cool band...

9. I saw them on Conan a couple months back and on Jay Leno about a month ago.
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Their cd made me get back into new music, after going on a 60-70's classics kick. I really like his style, probably a chops monster, but he plays for the song, not to show off.
  11. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I bought there new album and really dig them, Breath of fresh air is what I call them.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Wow! These guys are really awesome. I was going to start a new topic but I decided to go for the ol' Search function. Anyone listen to "Senorita"? This Jojo fella is basically my ideal kind of bass playing in a band. He's so grooving, and just...damn, guys. Damn, this is awesome stuff. I've also been itching to hear some guitar solos like this for like, 2 months. From about September to December, I jammed all the time with this crazy blues guy named Josh Devlin who lived and played the blues like a freakin' demon. Ever since we haven't been able to jam, I've been totally jonesing for some solos like he used to play, and the guitarists from Los Lonely Boys are cranking out exactly what I want to hear.
  13. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good band! Jojo's solid on the 6 string and he uses a lot chords. Very tasty lines and really supports the songs. My son doesn't watch any other DVD's since we got Live In Austin.
  14. Good band, I ve been meaning to pick up their album.

I think he plays great, I also like his bass.........looks good.
  15. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Jojo is great. I think the live in austin proves it.
  16. I had the pleasure of seeing them live at the Ft. Smith Riverfront Blues Festival a couple of years ago. That is one of those shows that I will never forget. Jojo definantly knows when and when not to pull out the chops. And they have great onstage chemistry. And since the blues is all about acknowledging your influences and forging new ground at the same time, I say that they are about the best thing the blues has going for it right now. And I love the blues.
  17. Desi

Jan 11, 2005
    In addition to being a good bassist, he's also one hell of a singer. I saw one of their spanish music vids on a latin network and let me tell you, Jojo's no joke on the mic.
  18. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    LOS LONELY BOYS are awesome! I was stoked when they got that Grammy award. Jo Jo is a killer bassist. It's so nice to see a REAL band with REAL musicians doing it in this age of lip synching, fake pop divas.

Buy their CD and the DVD!! :bassist:
  19. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I just got their DVD Live In Austin and it smokes. Jo Jo is amazing, singing, grooving on bass. Blew me away. I like them even more now.

If you like them, get this and you won't regret it. 90 minutes worth of REAL musicians and REAL songs that THEY wrote. A very rare thing in the music business today. I'm stoked.
  20. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    saw em at bonnaroo last year, put on a great show.