Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jon Gagan- bassist for Ottmar Liebert

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FCM3, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Last nite i had the pleasure of watching 2 hrs of Ottmar liebert.
    http://www.lunanegra.com/
    He is a spanished influenced flamenco guitarist who brings along a fusion band. His bassist Jon gagnon was simply put, rocksolid, and tastey. Jon had a huge presence and voice on a 4 string fretless which sang like an baritone opera singer.
    Two things: I couldn't place the bass at all it. had a EB-like headstock and a body shape of something like a JP and a morsh. Second- his tone was so full of mwah, but soulful and crying, his fretboard was definately coated with something shiney.

Any ideas?

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I love Jon Gagan!! I played email tag with him a bit. He used to be a pedulla player (a fretless buzz) and now he tells me he likes to play warmoth. Which is what he is playing most of the recent pics and probably what you are talking about. He is a very tasteful bassist who has grat intonation and groove. He also plays upright well. He last told me he plans to release a solo CD. I can't wait. :)

3. seth-
    Jon gagan's CD has been released. Its called "transit" and its available on the lunanegra website.
    A warmoth bass, interesting. I'd be interesting to find out what that fretboard is coated w/. The tone was soooooo baritone

4. :hyper: Wow, sounds like a show that the wife and I would love to attend. Good for you FCM3, here's hoping Ottmar and Jon travel through Spokane :) .

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have two ottmar album's I discovered him while I was in Venezuela there was some live performance that I saw where Ottmar was sat down and his bassist was playing what looked to be a battered fretless fender J-bass could very well have been a warmoth as I didn't see the headstock very well. When they Barcelona Nights I could have cried. At the time I was talking to Steve Lawson about fretless's and never quite understood what he meant in a difference in attack, and a more vocal quality but that really showed me it was possibly the most beautiful tone I ever heard.

I got the albums and unfortunatly this tone is not as predominant as it was in this small live concert I saw. Would love to buy the concert if anybody knows which it is. The stage was covered with rigs and things and looked very much like a student's flat trying for an arabic approach.

Also Ottmar played electric guitar at one point on a black strat looking thing.

Thanks

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Very cool fretless player.
    I dig his playing.