Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jon Hebert

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, May 12, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is gonna be appearing with the Andrew Hill Quintet, I think at the Jazz Standard. Jon is a personal favorite and a helluva nice cat.

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Indeed. Quite a solid player.
    The first time I saw him play was in a quartet with John McNeil and John Abercrombie. I was a little peeved that McNeil hadn't called ME for that gig (before I learned that ambition leads only to the Dark Side), but when I heard Hebert I was glad for the bass lesson!
    I've never been one to think about "copping licks" (it never seems to work for me), but he did this one thing during a solo that night that quadrupled the musical energy coming off the stage, and the audience gasped...it's come out in my own playing on occasion since then, and it has the same effect.

3. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    He's going to play with Andrew Hill??! Damn, go Jon!!!
    Well, he deserves no less. I love that guy. His energy when he is playing is incredible. Wish I didn't live 10 hours away.
    Everyone local: you should go and hear this man.

4. Any downloads available?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Lessee, he's on Barbara Sfraga's record, he's on Rich Perry's new record, what else? If you go to the FRESH SOUNDS NEW TALENT record label website, he's on a record by Russ Lossing.

The Rich Perry record you can get to by going to allaboutjazz.com, it's been reviewed recently. I know he's gigging with Andrew Hill now, he has done gigs with Rick Margitza, Dave Pietro etc., but I don't think he's recorded with them?

6. I'll dig around..thanks.
    I worked with Dave Pietro a few years ago up in Boulder. I sure like his playing!

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I know Dave from my days at NT. Since we were both from MA we used to have lunch together. Jeff Coffin too. :D

I've lost touch over the years though.

8. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    In case anyone is interested, another great album that Hebert is on is pianist Frank Carlberg's "In The Land of Art". Frank writes spectacular music with which to set poetry, usually beat stuff, Kerouac, Beckett, Rexroth, etc. There is lots of high-energy improv and Hebert lays it down.

He is also on several ofhttp://www.petemccann.com/ albums, sounding amazing.

9. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    I saw Andrew Hill at Merkin Hall last night, with John Hebert on bass. They started as a trio, and after the intermission, continued as an all-brass nonet.

I found the trio music difficult. I could accept all three musicians improvising at the same time, but I could not sense that anyone was listening to anyone else until the end. I suppose they were, and they have cues they work with, but I could not see it.

The nonet was more accessible. As each player soloed you could appreciate the background riffs that the band played. It was amusing to watch Hill conduct; he would raise his hands to get everyone to play then he would point to one or the other and shake his head for that one to lay out, or he would run across the stage and poke them if they weren't paying attention.

Hebert was busy the whole time, but his sound was muffled and indistinct. You could tell he was playing a lot, but you could not make out what. He had some kind of piezo p/u into a volume pedal, into a Woods amp and into a Hartke 4x10 speaker. Early on, he adjusted the volume range upward, but it made no difference to distinguishing his notes. His solos were lovely when
    everyone else laid out, except the drummer with brushes.

10. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I love his playing on Andrew Hill's last album. JH has become a real favourite of mine in hte past few years. Another record he's great on is Andrew Rathbun's 'sculpture', with Kenny Wheeler.
    And theres some great solo Db stuff on his website, I posted a link on here a while ago.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC

Jon with the Andrew Hill Trio.

12. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    There is a nice duo just out on Hatology with Russ Lossing.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I got to hear those guys occasionally rehearsing with Jeff Williams on drums, they were using my teacher's studio on the same night I was going in there with Dan and the guys....

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My friend Sean Lyons, who lives in Manhattan and plays tenor with a lot of great musicians, always counts Jon Hebert among his very favorite standmates. I really need to check him out some more.

15. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    hes a great drummer... spends a lot of time in london these days, so I get to hear him pretty regularly.

Marcus, I reccomend Andrew Hill's 'Timelines', and Michael Attias' 'renku'.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Some very nice music being made here....

Lucian Ban and the ENESCO RE IMAGINED project.

17. jbassbear

jbassbear

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Hey..to all of you..thanks for your support...

Anyone in NYC tonight? Nov 19th? How is this for shameless self promotion?

...I am playing down at Cornelia St Cafe, two sets..with a great sax player, Adam Kolker and the legendary Billy Hart on drums..should be a fun night...

Hope to see some of you. Would be great to meet you.

All the best,
    John Hébert

18. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    This clip is mesmerizing. It is the most moving and beautiful thing I've ever seen on the net.Thank you.