Jonas Hellborg- my new god.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hateater, Jun 20, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Serious talent just dripping from this cat... I can't believe I have just discovered him! Everyone who has not heard any of his work needs to grab one of his albums!
  2. Jonas is simply awesome - I have known about him for years - he did an amazing duo concert with John McLaughlin years and years ago and that really blew me a way - but I recently rediscovered him and his awesome power trio, with the now sadly dead, Shawn Lane. Go to and find out more - and I suggest you buy 'Good People In Times Of Evil' - it's just brilliant. BTW You know he plays an acoustic bass guitar? He slaps the hell out of it too!
  3. Jonas took over where Jaco left off. :bassist:

I wonder which guitarist he will team up with next ? Shawn Lane and Jonas had a dynamic chemistry in their playing that brought out the best in them that will be tough to match.
  4. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Jonas is also one of my favorites. Good People in Times of Evil is one of the best albums I have ever heard. Icon is another incredible album. It's a shame he doesn't get more recognition for his talents, but I guess his musical vision is beyond most people's understanding of what is possible.
    Have any of you seen the live in Paris DVD yet? I've been meaning to order it.
    Also, if you haven't already, check out for a whole bunch of good music.
  5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

That is the album I picked up. I heard the manager of the record store talking about him and I asked him what would be a good album to start with. He suggested Good People In Times of Evil, and he said that if I didn't like it, he would buy it off of me for full price. Probably the beset 18 bucks I ever spent.
  6. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have Abstract Logic, and I enjoy it as much as is possible....I'd enjoy it much more if the audio quality wasn't so pathetic. Some reeaall muddy tones in there.

Heck, my bands get better quality now with our demos!

But I agree, from what I've heard he's one heck of a player. Not a speed guy at all, kinda interesting.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you can find his work with Ginger Baker on drums, pick it up by all means.

He plays acoustic bass.....but don't let that fool you....his note choice and lines are incredibly powerful in terms of emotion, more so than most electric bassists.
  8. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He only plays acoustic part of the time... the other half he's tearing it up on his Wals and Status(s)..
  9. rickbass

I was referring to his work with Ginger Baker.
  10. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ginger Baker or Kofi Baker?
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It is Kofi, IIRC.

Temporal Analouges of Paradise is my personal favorite, Hellborg, Lane and Sipe on drums.
  12. rickbass

I saw them on BET's "Jazz Brunch" some time ago. Bernie Worrell played keyboards. "Middle Passage" was one of their very fine works, as well as "BASS."
  13. I saw Hellborg on jazz club Faschings' drum and bass evening in Stockholm in October. He played a homebuilt fretted six string acoustic bass and had extremely expressful playing. It was really fascinating to see and hear.

I've only listened to "e" and "Elegant punk" but I love both records.
  14. Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    I really enjoyed the Hellborg/lane/sipe album "Time is the Ememy" which i see has just been remaster

Also Zenhouse (again with lane/Sipe)is a good listen for some easten flavored acoustic work and has jonas on his Ovation double neck acoustic bass guitar very cool

your both right as he has worked with both baker's father and son!

also his work on dummer Michael Shrieve's CD Two Doors is well worth a listen if you can find it that is as its a pretty hard cd to track down these days
  15. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I really enjoyed "The Word", his first album with the Wechter acoustic, with Tony Williams on drums and a string quartet. For the electric stuff, I liked "Personae" with Lane and Sipe the best, I think.

16. 18wheela

May 6, 2004
    Kansas, USA
    I've got one with Jonas, Michael Shrieve and .....Buckethead. Cna't remeber the name of it though. Very,very good acoustic rocking!!! :bassist:
  17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That would be "Octave of the Holy Innocents"--I like that one, too.

18. You're talking about "Octave of the Holy Innocents", and that's one of my favourite Hellborg albums. Good call.
  19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I just picked up his live in Paris DVD with the late great Shawn Lane......just awesome!!!! I highly recommend it :bassist: