Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jonas Hellborg - Paris DVD

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nadav, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I just received this DVD last week, and I'm watching it for the second time now with no distractions (since I have the house for myself). Wow.

I knew it was Jonas Hellborg and Shawn Lane, a combo I know from the Personae album. Somehow, I didn't know about the three Indian brothers that make up a huge part of the show. :cool:

One of them sings, one plays some sort of tambourine-like instrument, and one plays.. a clay pot. Mix that with a guitarist from Memphis, and a bassist from Sweden, and you end up with one weird/interesting show.

Jonas Hellborg sits on the floor, playing an acoustic bass (I need one.. GAS). He does some awesome slap stuff on that thing, and provides non-stop groove throughout the whole show (well, except for solo percussion and vocal parts.) It's so solid a non-bassist probably wouldn't even notice it :smug:

So, if you're a Hellborg fan and don't have it, or if you want to hear some interesting west-meets-east type stuff, or if you just want to see some cool stuff played on ABG, buy it. :bassist:

:ninja: Damn, I should be practicing instead of wasting time on TB.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's an AMAZING concert and I have been watching the DVD a lot lately. Shawn Lanes's solo intro to the second tune in the first set (am at work so can't check the title) goes down as one of the greatest guitar performances I have ever seen.

I have the same model of ABG as Jonas coming this week (Crafter BA-400EQ).

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sadly miss Shawn's playing... Wish I got to see him perform live while he was around.

Yo DB, are there any DVD's of the Lane/Sipe/Hellborg trio?

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
  5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Only video around at the moment is at www.abstractlogix.com, which bassjm has given the link to - that's worth watching.

I believe that Jonas had a number of concerts filmed and that he has plans to release them in the future.

I have a soundboard-quality audio recording of Shawn Lane's FINAL gig before his death (with Hellborg and Jim Britt on drums) - he played great right until the very end.

Also I am hoping to receive some footage in the next few weeks of Hellborg and Lane with Felix Sabbal-Lecco on drums from 98. It's an old TV broadcast I believe. I've seen a bit and it looks great - Shawn is healthier-looking (standing up and moving around). They do an up-tempo 'Teen Town'/'Black Market' medley amongst other things. :bassist:

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Cool DB, where are you getting it from?

First thing I assume Felix is related to Armand... man, rhythm is in both of their's blood!

Once I get home (25 minutes from now), I'm gonna be all over that ABLx site!!!

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    www.easytree.org - it's a filesharing site that uses the bittorrent programme. The only stuff that gets shared is concert audio/video (i.e. stuff that is not commercially available). The people on there really care about the music. Some of the stuff available on there recently has been mouth-watering! I haven't got time to download it all!

The audio of the Hellborg/Lane/Sabbal-Leco gig is available now - somebody is putting up the video next week.

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Isn't it somesort of handdrum and the "clay pot" you say is a Udu drum? Got this DVD about a week ago and i love it!

9. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, the clay pot is called "gatam" and the hand drum is called kanjeera, if that helps.

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Why didn't you write that in the first place? :p

11. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I was too lazy to get the DVD and look on the back :cool: