Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joseph Weiss Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by armybass, Aug 18, 2004.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Anyone heard of Weiss Basses? I haven't seen anything on this or any other board about them. Chuck Levin's in DC sells them and I have played a few. They are a budget-mid priced European carved bass from what I gather. The lower models they carry are in the $2000 range and they have some in excess of $6k I think. The few that I played were pretty nice and would love to hear any other input about them.

2. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    C'mon....over a year and none of you have heard of these basses......... :eyebrow:

I am in the market and would love a TB warm fuzzy before I get one tomorrow.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never heard of them before just now. Looked at the on the net. Hard to tell just by looking, but the specs are pretty decent. Can't giev you a warm fuzzy but I can give you a probably-not-a-piece-of-crap-bass fuzzy.

4. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL....thanks. The only place I see them on the net is at WMC (Chuck Levins) and that is the store I am going to. I wish I could just get more info on them like history and reputation.

Scott

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    HARMYBASS - why are you looking at a music store and not a more double bass specific/luthier shop? Like Bob's House of Basses?

A music store is going to sell you an instrument that will STILL be in need of a set up, new strings, bridge adjustment etc etc etc. Look in the NEWBIES FAQ in the locked thread up in BASSES. READ all the horror stories about how much somebody had to spend to get one of a multitude of music store basses fit to play.

Check (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's website for other actual bass shoppes near your area.

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Not this one. I have purchased basses there before and they will set it up and treat me well. I am not interested in having a bass shipped or I would have purchased on from Bob. I buy all my other upright stuff from him but I don't want to have an URB shipped. I would rather go to a shop and play it in person and drive it home in my own vehicle. Not really a "newb" I just don't post here very often if ever..... ;)

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, live and loin. But Bob seems to have at least "40 basses" to play in the same Washington DC that Chuck is in.

Also, it's true I don't know Chuck from something analogous to not knowing Chuck, but "music store" setups tend to be something of a misnomer.
    But, do what you want. I'll remain remarkably unaffected either way.

8. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    I was recently at Chuck's for some work on my end-pin. Pat, I think is the guys name does good work. They have about 5 uprights setup for testing, an Engelhardt or two, some other brands and one bass setup specifically for arco, maybe this is the one your'e thinking about. All the basses are well setup with new strings. I was suprised how good the Engelhardt swingmaster sounded, loud - and the neck was not thin, which was what I was expecting.

That being said, to have the option to try out 5 basses at Chucks or 40 basses at Bob's House of Bass, I would probably make the drive to Bob's, which I hope to be doing in the near future.

9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    If Bob Gollihur were in DC, I would be buying from him....he is not in DC. :meh:

10. Archerdbass:

I think the Bob they're referring to Bob's House of Basses, which is apparently in the D.C. area.

As for Joseph Weiss, I rather suspect its an imprint made for Levin by a large manufacturer. If you can track down who actually makes the bass, it might be easier to make a decision. Hofner, I know, makes a lot of string instruments under a lot of different names.

11. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    OK Now, that is the kind of info I need. I live in Richmond and drive up to DC. I did not know of BHOB but will give em a call in the morning.

Thanks folks

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    ***? Mike, your link doesn't seem to go anywhere different from the one I posted. NOW it's "dawn in the mountains"?
    Sheesh.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    You should also check out the Chesapeake Double bass shop...if you're in the area of Chuck's then you would not be too far.

http://www.chesapeakebass.com/

14. Its all in the delivery, Ed.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    That reminds of the joke - bunch of comedians all hanging out together for so long, they don't even tell the joke any more, just the number. "48", and they all laugh a little. "23", they all chuckle. Some newbie comes in and asks "what's going on" they give him the set up (don't even tell the joke anymore...) and he wants to get in on the action so he says "62". And nobody laughs. So he says "hey what's the deal?" and one of the other comedians says 'Jeez, ya moron, you told it all wrong."

There's another tag line with the same set up, some guy says "62" and everybody laughs a little, except some guy in the corner who just FALLS out - laughing til he cries, can't stop and finally kinds of runs down, still chuckling. Kid goes "What's up with you?" Guy says " I never heard that one before..."

16. jrupe

jrupe

Oct 25, 2012
    So did you get the Joseph Veiss bass, and do you like it? How does it compare to others in the price range?